Time Machine Will Not Backup External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jeb2u, Dec 26, 2011.

1. jeb2u macrumors member

My current setup: 320GB Mac (OS X Lion) and 1Tb external hard drive connected via USB to my Mac. *The external hard drive holds all of my media/iTunes library. *When I was using my 500GB Time Capsule as my Time Machine backup disk I had no problems with it backing up my internal HD and my media/iTunes external hard drive.

Now that I've purchased a larger external hard drive to use as my Time Machine disk it will not backup the media/iTunes external hard drive.

My*media/iTunes external hard drive is NOT excluded under System Preferences--> Time Machine --> Options.

Interesting enough*under System Preferences--> Time Machine --> Options, the Estimated Size of Full Backup is 540 GB, which would be the correct total of the internal Mac HD and the media/iTunes external hard drive. *But Time Machine only backsup half that total (or the total space of the internal HD).

Troubleshooting Steps Tried So Far:

1 - Restarting computer and external HDs
    2 - Disconnecting and reconnecting external HD

Does anyone else have any possible solutions?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Does anyone else have any possible solutions?"

Yep.

Use CarbonCopyCloner (free, and one of the best Mac apps out there) to clone the files you want to another drive/partition that can contain them. Fast and easy. It will do incremental backups, as well.

Indeed, I'd suggest that you consider CCC to make a bootable clone of your entire "main drive". Much more valuable to have at-hand in a "moment of extreme need" than a TM backup that often gives problems trying to access it when you need it most....