Time Machine / Wireless Modem stopped Hard Drive from mounting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by powerhouse7, Feb 14, 2010.

1. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Hi
    I have a weird problem that occurred today that's got me completely boggled. Any help would be much appreciated.

I appologies for the vagueness at times, I could only post now because my internet's been down thanks to Telstra (hense why I tryed using their wireless service, which would seem screwed my Hard drive. yeh!)

I installed a small application from Telstra (main telecommunications company in Australia) that allows you to connect via a USB modem to the internet wirelessly. After completing the installation, it prompted me to restart and I did so. However, before it shut down a dialogue came up saying it had to clear/reset the system cache or something like that. I clicked ok (only thing i could do) and my computer restart as normal and I had internet.

The problems started when my time machine tried to backup; where it stopped while "preparing to backup" and came up with an error dialogue saying something like Time failed because it couldn't find the directory. I restarted my mac once more without the USB modem attached and tried the backup again, whereby i new error came saying it couldn't mount the drive.

One more restart later and I now have a Time Machine that doesn't backup or see prior backups, and a Hard Drive that not only can't be mounted but isn't recognised as even a Media device by Disc Utilities.

I have no idea what's going on so any help whatsoever would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I tried deleting the program but couldn't because the file "Mac_Swapper_Demon" was in use. I went into Activity Monitor and there was the process. I stopped the process and was able to delete the file. Until now, i've never come across this process.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

So you are connecting a usb modem and a usb hard drive and the modem software stopped the hard drive from mounting? Then you successfully deleted the modem software and you STILL cannot mount the hard drive?

3. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. I've got no idea what's going on.
    All i know is my Time Machine and Hard Drive were working perfectly and have been for the past 3 years until i install this modem software and now I have an unmountable Hard Drive.