Time Machine with a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soundhound, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

Does is make sense to use Time Machine with a Macbook pro? (I use it with my imac and love it...) I got my wife a hard drive 320 gig to use with her Macbook Pro, but she'd probably only plug it in on some nights during the week, and most weekends. Will unplugging it and plugging it back in all the time make for a confusing operation with Time Machine, or would that still be a good way to use Time Machine for backing up her macbook pro? thanks!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I use Time Machine with my 15" MacBook Pro and it works perfectly. Even if you don't plug the MacBook Pro in every day, Time Machine still runs and operates fine. The more you plug in, the more you back up obviously, but it is still good enough to plug in every couple of days or so.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I use TM with my MBP all the time and connect them once or twice a week, maybe more, and TM still works like a charm with it and gives me no hiccups.

I use a 500GB USB 2.5" HDD for my backup.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why wouldn't you use it? Working fine since 10.5.0.

6. Nanookfan macrumors member

Use TM with my MBP and it works great. I don't back up every day with it like on my iMac, but I still have mostly up to date backups in case something happens.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It should work fine - why do you suppose there would be a problem? :confused:

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I would go so far as to say it's especially important to keep a up-to-date backup with a laptop. They're easily stolen or forgotten, and are more prone to hardware problems than desktops.

My Time Machine drive is always plugged into my iMac, but I only turn it on once a week or so. I see no reason to leave it running constantly.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I use time machine via Drobo whenever my MBP is at home. When it comes to backing up your system, the more often the better. But even if it's only once in a while, it's better than nothing.
    Your wife needs to decide how recent she'd want her update to be if her hard drive died on her today. If she's got school or work materials, she'll make an effort to plug it in everyday and do a backup. :)

10. macgrl macrumors 65816

I use tc with my MacBook pro with no problems at all. It works great