Time Machine with a Raid 1 Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andersonmattt, Aug 9, 2009.

1. andersonmattt macrumors member

andersonmattt

I have two questions. Firstly, I am considering buying a western digital MyBook Studio Edition II http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?driveid=621. If I use time machine with this drive, will I be able to remove one of the drives and keep it off-site for safekeeping and have time machine continue to backup on the remaining one as usual?

Secondly, if i remove drive #2 and keep it off site, would dropping it back into the raid setup update drive #2 with drive #1's current time machine backup?

Thanks, I'm new to raid, and I am basically trying to have a time machine backup, and a off site backup. If there's an easier way to do this, it would be much appreciated

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

4. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

The studio II has hot swapable drives, I belive. Check out the link

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

World editions are also NAS, not local drives.

I don't see it anywhere ... and my two Studio II drives in the office are not hot-swappable.

6. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

Ok, well assuming I do get a hot swapable raid drive, I still need the original questions answered. Can I remove one drive and have time machine backu nas normal, then replace the drive and have it copy all the data?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, but it's not meant for that. It will immediately enter a degraded state when you pull the drive.

Yes, its the rebuild process.

RAID 1 isn't meant to do what you're intending. You just need to set the backup to work on two separate drives. If that doesn't work (automatic settings), you'd use TM to make a backup. Then duplicate that to another drive.

8. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

Well, I understand that raid 1 is not intended for this purpose, but it just seems much easier to plug in a drive and have raid to duplicate the disk for me.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I figured that was the case. :) It seems an easy way to do it on the surface, but unfortunately, RAID has a fit when it's running in a degraded state. It's unstable at this point, and failures can happen. As it's a backup, it's not critical, unless the primary data is corrupted/lost, and the backups are also toast. At that point, I don't think you'd be a very happy camper, particularly as you're trying to have a proper backup system in the first place. :D

10. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to manualy duplicate the disk. Not a big deal. Thank you all