Time Machine with an Airport Extreme Base Station?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by todd2000, Sep 5, 2008.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I know there was an update a while ago that enabled Time Machine to use a USB Hard Drive plugged into an Airport Extreme, but did they break that functionality since then? My friend was trying it last night, and it didn't work, I told him it should, but the drive wasn't recognized. I don't have an AEBS to play with but I though it works now? What's the deal?

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Yes, it works perfectly. I set mine up just a few weeks ago. All of my software is updated 100%.

3. Catch Them macrumors regular

mine isnt working either. i have the AEBSn with the latest firmware and the AirPortUtility is updated.
    i have my drive plugged in and i can access it as a shared drive but not as a Time Machine back up.

do i need to set it up first connected directly to the cmputer then to the aebs?

hm...

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

To get mine working... I had to plug the drive into the mac to format it and make sure it worked, then plug it into the AEBS and find it from there. Then open Time Machine and select the networked drive from there. Once the backup started, I unplugged it from the aebs, moved it over to the computer, and continued with the backup from there. Once the first back up was complete, I moved the drive back to the AEBS, and everything worked fine from that point on! No other problems so far.