time machine with external smaller than HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by happydude, Oct 27, 2007.

1. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

does anyone know of any issue with using an external that is smaller than the internal HD? we bought a new imac with a TB HD and have an older 250GB external. we don't have 250GB worth of anything on our imac but am wondering if there are any issues with backing up a 1 TB internal with a .25 TB external using time machine. any thoughts, experience?

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

there are no issues for me

i dont have any problems, my external is 80gigs and my internal is 120gigs, time machine just keeps backing up till the drive is full, then it starts getting rid of the oldest stuff

3. pcorajr macrumors 6502

I am using a external drive that is = in size to my internal and everything works well. The larger the drive the more history you will have, ATM on a clean install and after having copy my pics and all i am using about 25GB of HD space out of 298 GB. I also copied 17 GB of information in the same TM drive until i can purchase another external.

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

i have a similar question. i have a 200gb (real space is 183) internal using about 100gb of space. is it ok to back up to a 120gb external (103 real space)?