Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I searched but couldn't find an answer to this...Will Time Machine backup changes to my iPhoto and iTunes libraries if those libraries are not on my internal drive?

I have these on an external firewire drive. I'll get another external for TM, but I heard on a podcast today that TM only backs up your internal drives. Seems like it should be smart enought to just see where your libraries are stored...

Any first hand knowledge on this?

tpetdoctor

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
time machine support for external drives (mainly for iphoto and itunes libraries)

My itunes library is over 180gb and it doesn't fit on my laptop. Therefore I have my library on a networked drive. Even though this is an external drive, I would still like to have a duplicate copy of my data on the separate time machine drive just in case something happens to all of my music.

Hopefully Apple will extend support for this seemingly common practice with itunes/iphoto libs being on external drives.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party tweaks or ways to hack time machine to do this until Apple updates time machine?

Also will other people with the same problem please take the time to register at macrumors and post here so that others know that this is a common problem.

Thanks so much!!!

- Paul
musician and educator

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I think for something as valuable as 180gb of music, you shouldn't be relying on time machine to back it up. you should manually do it yourself. how often do you add/change the files in your collection?

daemontrader

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Time Machine does allow backing up from your external drives. I think by default it may add them all to the exclude list but you can simply remove them in the settings. I have all my data on an external firewire RAID and Time Machine backs it up fine.

I searched but couldn't find an answer to this...Will Time Machine backup changes to my iPhoto and iTunes libraries if those libraries are not on my internal drive?

I have these on an external firewire drive. I'll get another external for TM, but I heard on a podcast today that TM only backs up your internal drives. Seems like it should be smart enought to just see where your libraries are stored...

Any first hand knowledge on this?

alexandrend

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
It is true.
Both my iPhoto and iTunes libraries are located in an external disk. You just have to remove the external disk from the "Exclude list" in Time Machine.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Same question here. My external iTunes and iPhoto drive is not on the exclude list and is not being "watched" by TM. .Mac Backup doesn't do it either. I'd like the fix too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.