Time Machine With NAS Drive Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cokeacola, Jun 3, 2011.

1. cokeacola macrumors member

im thinking of getting one of these

QNAP TS-210 2TB (2 x 1TB) Turbo NAS SATA-300 / Hi-Speed USB / Gigabit Ethernet / iSCSI

my set up includes an Imac which Holds all my music , vids etc , as i have just invested in a sonos system im looking to move all my music/ vids from the desktop to the NAS drive so i dont have to keep the Imac on all the time

now the question is can i set up 1 of the Qnap drives as a time machine drive and to back up the other Qnap drive and also back up my Imac ?

hope you can understand the situation im in and if its not possible can you suggest a workaround as i can not "afford " to not have my music and vids not backed up

thanks in advance

2. nerdo macrumors regular

The Qnaps I used all had time machine support. You simply set up a time machine drive of choice (RAID or single drive depending on the config you use the NAS in) and then time machine would mount the drive during backup and un mount it when it was finished. This way nothing except timemachine can touch the drive.

The only problem I had was when a program filled by boot SSD and I had to re-install: the Time Machine settings got messed up and somehow it started again from scratch, ignoring my 9TB backup! The bizarre thing is I actually re-installed OSX Lion from the time machine backup that had just finished the day before :eek::eek::eek:

These days I use arRsync and Intego backup expres to backup to single disks, time machine is brilliant when it works but when it breaks it is dead.

My experience with QNAP is very good, solid systems so whatever you do: getting a qnap will probably be a good choice no matter what.