Time Machine with New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VaatiKaiba, Jul 12, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I'm going to replace the hard drive in my MacBook, and will be using SuperDuper to move my current disk image across to the new drive. I'm just wondering: when I do this, and have my MacBook back up and running, will I need to restart Time Machine from scratch, or will it continue where it left off? Also, I assume adding new RAM at the same time doesn't make a difference to TM?

Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

pretty sure it will be fine. turn Time Machine off, backup, install hard drive and restore backup, plug in external drive and turn Time Machine on (may even work without turning Time Machine off as well).

3. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

After restoring your OS install, Time Machine will still work properly without issue. Also, don't worry. RAM does nothing to the Time Machine setup.

4. kropotov macrumors member

my time capsule HD is broken. Can you advise procedure after i will install new disk? (i can't restore anything from old disk)

thank you beforehand

5. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

I'm not sure as I've never had/setup a Time Capsule before. I assume it should be plug-and-play. Once you replace the drive, open up the Time Machine PrefPane and configure from there. Maybe you have to use Apple's AirPort Utility in \Applications\Utilities.

6. kropotov macrumors member

:( Problem, that after HDD has broken, TC do not Starting UP (orange light shine continuously without brake) i have think, that some startup info is writing on HDD and without this info TC can not startup.

am i right? what do you thing?

7. topcho macrumors newbie

TM started new backup

Hello,

After my HDD crapped out, I replaced it and restored my system from Time Capsule. Quite frustratingly, Time Machine started backing up the whole system now- some 150 GB instead of continuing to do incremental backups.Is this how this should work? Any comments?