Time Machine Woes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trevor Harris, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Trevor Harris macrumors newbie

Hey All,

So I've had to do a re-install of Snow Leopard on my 2006 Macbook. I do have a time machine backup, and was hoping to use Migration Assistant to bring my machine back up to its previous state.

However, for some reason, the Migration Assistant isn't picking up the hard drive which has all the backups on it, despite the fact that it shows up on my desktop. See the attached screenshot, showing the time machine hard drive (Storage 1) icon on the desktop, but yet it's not showing up on the list.

Mind you, I can just transfer all the files manually, but then I'd have to re-install all programs - not a huge deal, but this behavior is curious to say the least. Any ideas?

Trevor

Attached Files:

• temp.png
      temp.png
      File size:
      381.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Any ideas? ]]

My opinion only, but...

... NEXT time, try CarbonCopyCloner instead.

If you had had a CCC bootable backup handy, you wouldn't be having these problems...

3. Buggyflayer, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

Buggyflayer macrumors regular

Is the fresh install at 10.6.8?
    If not, download the update.
    Think you also need the same user credentials on your fresh install that you had as main user on your previous install too.
    If so, you should be able to go into time-machine using the Star Wars interface and restore individual files from recent backup.

If you want everything read this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18848