Time Machine woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hyddan, Jul 23, 2009.

1. hyddan macrumors member

Recently reinstalled OS X and changed my user name so my home folder is not the same in my time machine backup and the current backup.

Extracted all my files manually so thats fine but is there some way I can prevent time machine from backing up everything from my new account all over again?

Basically it wants to copy everything from my backup to my hard drive, then back again to the backup. I don't like that as files can get garbled up and music garbled in places. It's like 200 GB so it will take a while.

Is there any other way to do it? It's the same account only with another name.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm guessing not because you changed your username. If you just used migration assistant during the leopard install and didn't change anything you would be fine but since you changed your username, time machine recognizes you as a whole new user that it wants to back up. Maybe you should just start fresh with a completely new TM backup for the new account? Just make sure you have copied everything over before you do that. Unless you really need those files from the old backup, I would just erase the drive and then start using TM again.

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Even when I've used Migration Assistant to restore from TM I've had to create a whole new back up...

4. hyddan thread starter macrumors member

I ended up erasing the drive and making a completely new backup. Took a few hours but bow I'm safe again. Next time I'll use the same account name and it might work better.

Thanks.