Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Ok, I went out and purchased a 1TB My Book, to backup my Macbook Pro and External 750GB My Book. The initial backup was about 58GB. My music collection sits on my external 750GB drive and is about 250GB of music. Time Machine does not appear to be backing it up. Does Time Machine not support backing up external drives or am I doing something wrong?

FWIW- I did make sure the external drive was not in the "exclude" list, but its still not working.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
In case anyone else is experiencing similar problem, I found a solution (or work around).

My external drive was formated as FAT 32 (I was previously using it on my Windoze PC). It appears Time Machine has/had a problem backing up a non-HSFS Journaling Drive. Time Machine was aware of the drive, and its file, but would simply not back them up. I move all data off the drive and reformatted it to hsfs and it appears to be working fine now <shrug>

Anyone else having issues with Time Machine not performing a backup of FAT 32 External Drives?

Ok, I went out and purchased a 1TB My Book, to backup my Macbook Pro and External 750GB My Book. The initial backup was about 58GB. My music collection sits on my external 750GB drive and is about 250GB of music. Time Machine does not appear to be backing it up. Does Time Machine not support backing up external drives or am I doing something wrong?

FWIW- I did make sure the external drive was not in the "exclude" list, but its still not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.