Time Machine won't recognize D-Link network drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KenV, Jan 19, 2011.

1. KenV macrumors newbie

I have a D-Link shared network drive.

On my G5 Mac (OS10.5.8) the D-Link drive shows up in the "Shared" pane of the finder sidebar, and I can manually drag files to and from the folders on the D-Link drive. However, Time Machine cannot detect it. The D-Link shared drive does not show up in Time Machine's list of drives available for back up, so I cannot select the shared drive for use by Time Machine.

I have set firewall security to "Allow all incoming connections" and have FileVault turned off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

Time Machine can not use network shares by default, you need to run a command in terminal to allow it.

If you follow this guide http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-use-time-machine-over-a-network/ should do what you want

Kimbie

3. KenV thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed the instructions in the linked file. I cut and pasted the terminal command into terminal. My system then provided a warning about the dangers of using the sudo command and asked me for my password. I entered my administrator password. But nothing seemed to happen. I then checked Time Machine and the D-Link drive still does not appear in the list of back-up drives to select.

The linked instructions are for XServe. Perhaps they don't apply to an older G5 Mac running OS 10.5.8?

4. KenV thread starter macrumors newbie

The article looks like it provides a solution, but warns against doing it. Various comments to the article indicate they have used the hack successfully, while others warn against using it and why.

Maybe I'll find a third party software solution. Or maybe I'll just pony up for a big internal drive and use that for backup.

Thanks so much for your help.