Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I am considering in completing my apple household with a apple time machine... Are they worth it? Are they due an upgrade?

Opinions would be much appreciated, thank you.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think you mean Time Capsule. Yes, it's worth the investment. I have the 3TB model. It takes care of all my wifi and backs up all three of my Macs seamlessly.

The only downside to buying now is the new wifi AAC standards which will be ratified next year. That will be a speed increase, but I recommend them thoroughly.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm normally very Apple friendly and had always good experience with their products and service. Except with the Time Capsule. I have two broken in my shelf: 1TB and 2TB. In both cases I couldn't even perform the initial load anymore; on cable.
At the begin it was convenient and Apple-like integrated. But in my case I don't found them reliable enough.

If you plan additional disk backups give it a try; maybe the 3TB version have better disks these days.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I think you mean Time Capsule. Yes, it's worth the investment. I have the 3TB model. It takes care of all my wifi and backs up all three of my Macs seamlessly.

The only downside to buying now is the new wifi AAC standards which will be ratified next year. That will be a speed increase, but I recommend them thoroughly.

Im very very tempted. What do you mean AAC standards?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Im very very tempted. What do you mean AAC standards?

There is a new faster wifi standard in the making....It's due to be ratified early in 2013 and will increase wifi speeds on devices that have it. It doesn't mean an older TC will stop working, just won't be using the faster wifi standards:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254616/802_11ac_gigabit_wi_fi_what_you_need_to_know.html

Don't worry about the scare tactics in the link, older devices will continue to work fine, I would expect Apple to update the TC and Airport Express models when the new AC standard becomes the norm.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
There is a new faster wifi standard in the making....It's due to be ratified early in 2013 and will increase wifi speeds on devices that have it. It doesn't mean an older TC will stop working, just won't be using the faster wifi standards:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254616/802_11ac_gigabit_wi_fi_what_you_need_to_know.html

Don't worry about the scare tactics in the link, older devices will continue to work fine, I would expect Apple to update the TC and Airport Express models when the new AC standard becomes the norm.

Ah that makes sense. What current devices are compatible? Just from a tech head pov.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.