Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Hi all!

I was thinking about dumping my HP Media Server and getting the new Time Machine instead to consolidate my current nightmare setup. My only question is can I copy files manually to that drive and can an Xbox access it through it's System Video Player, since I like to stream some tv shows/movies sometimes.

Thanks!

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I don't have an XBox, so I can't answer your question directly. But if the XBox can read from a Windows share, then it should work. But if the XBox is looking for a DLNA server, then that won't work since the TC doesn't speak DLNA.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi all!

I was thinking about dumping my HP Media Server and getting the new Time Machine instead to consolidate my current nightmare setup. My only question is can I copy files manually to that drive and can an Xbox access it through it's System Video Player, since I like to stream some tv shows/movies sometimes.

Thanks!

Not going to work directly from the Time Capsule hard drive. You are going to need a computer running a DLNA server to serve up the content to the XBox. If you Google "OS X DLNA server" you will find several options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.