Time Machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MonkeySee...., Aug 12, 2011.

1. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Sorry if there is another thread about this but I couldn't seem to find one.

Ive tried to restore to an earlier date using Time Machine (my first attempt) and the "restore" button is greyed out and inactive.

Any advice? :eek: Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

3. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thanks for your reply.

It was just an earlier date.

To fill you in I updated MSN Messenger and it took my internet out so i thought i'd just restore to an hour ago but it would let me. All supposed restore points were inactive? :confused:

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

What I meant was, what file/folder were you trying to restore?

Or do you want to restore the entire system?

5. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Ahh sorry well i guess it was the howl system. As i understood, time machine would revert you system to a previous state.

Sorry if thats not the case. I'm a bit confused! :(

6. Texran macrumors regular

Enter time machine. look to the left look at devices, should be listed as for example (monkeysee iMac), click on it, at the arrows to the bottom right of folder view click back at least once, then click on Macintosh HD below name field, restore button should now be active.
    Might be other ways, but this is how I do it.

7. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

nope, still greyed out? Bizarre!?

8. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've experienced the "greyed out" issue in Snow Leopard. I usually find the problem to be when I've selected a folder that doesn't exist in the previous backups. And, for the same reason, if your backups are from a different machine that also can be the problem. In either case you should be able to find your way around it, somehow. I may be wrong though.

If you want to restore to an hour ago you can do that, but you've got boot into the Lion installer and do it from there. I'd recommend backing up all your important data first though. Restart and hold "Option" when you see the white screen until you see a boot menu and select the drive that reads something along the lines of: "Recovery Drive".

If you're using Snow Leopard, or Leopard, rather than Lion you can insert the DVD that came with your Mac and restart and hold "Option" when you see the white screen until you see a boot menu and select the DVD.

In either scenario, if you see the Apple logo you've missed it and you'll need to restart and hold "Option" again and hope it works. Use the "Option" key on the left side of the keyboard.

Hope it works out for you.

10. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thanks for your response. I've saved it for later. I don't need to restore at the moment so i'm just curious as to why its not working.

Thanks again

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

How does MSN Messenger "take out your internet" ?

12. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Good question! Installed an update and my internet went completely. :confused:

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

:confused: I would delete that junk. Adium can connect to most IM services, including MSN.