Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cristian.ny95, Jul 13, 2012.

1. cristian.ny95 macrumors newbie

Hey, I hava a 120 GB MacBook Air and i am planning on buying a portable HDD to use with Time Machine. I can't decide whether to get a 500 GB or a 1 TB drive. Is 500 GB enough?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I would get 1TB. They're not very expensive and the space will come in handy for more than just Time Machine.

3. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about that but I know I'm only going to be using this drive for only this Mac and only Time Machine backups nothing more. Taking that into consideration is 500 GB enough for a 120 GB time machine?

4. Bear macrumors G3

It depends on how much data you change and how long you want to keep your backups for. In general 500GB should be more than enough for a 120GB system.

I would however check the price difference between 500GB and 1TB. For less than a $10 difference it might be good to go with the larger drive anyway.

5. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

They 500 GB is $90 and the 1 TB is $110

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

500 GB is plenty. I have 1 TB to back up 500 GB, and still have a year's worth of backups on there.

Normally I would say getting the bigger drive for a bit extra would be more future proof, but presumably it's USB 2 which is itself becoming dated anyway. But if you're sure you won't ever want to use the disk for backing up a second Mac, a bigger Mac, or some other purpose, then go with the 500 GB.