Time machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by splatterific, Aug 7, 2016.

1. splatterific macrumors member

I recently upgraded my hard drives to 4tb. (1tb iMac, 3tb external)Problem is the drive I'm using for time machine is only 3tb. They'll be an obvious point in time that'll not be sufficient for backing up. I do have another LaCie 1tb drive. Is there anyway to back up to 2 separate drives to handle overflow?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can add the second drive and let TM use that.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... not if I understand what you are asking. Are you asking if when the existing external Time Machine backup drive becomes full, can you add a second drive for those same backups to continue on? That won't work. A second Time Machine drive would create an entirely new backup on that drive. There is no way to split or share Time Machine backups across two drives.

4. splatterific thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. You hit the nail on the head. That's what I was looking to do. And the truth stinks. Didn't initially consider when upgrading one your really updating 2 drives. At least on my case. Thanks

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

If you abandon your current backup, and if you do not use El Capitan, then you might create a concatenated disk set. However if you have the budget, it will probably be better to have a single larger disk.

Disk Utility (Yosemite): Create a RAID set