Time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saladiro, Dec 28, 2007.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi, i have a mac book pro. i have time machine enabled, but it appears to stop when my mac "sleeps" is this true? can anyone recommend a generic time so time machine can work and not stop. or do i have it all wrong?

also, when i close my laptop, does that make it go into auto sleep?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had my MacBook asleep (lid closed) with the Time Machine drive plugged in last night. It told me it made backups every hour too in the Time Machine preference pane.

It doesn't look that way now. :confused:

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Time Machine doesn't make backups when a machine is asleep. When you close the lid, it automatically goes to sleep. If you want to make sure Time Machine makes a backup before you put it to sleep, then right click or control click the Time Machine icon in the Dock and select "Back Up Now."
    -Chasen

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I think the logic behind this is that when the computer is asleep, nothing is changing on your system, so there's no need to backup every hour. Once the computer is turned on, it automatically does a backup, though.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Nothing goes on when the comp is asleep. Either don't let it sleep, or just backup when it is in use.