Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mleibowi, Apr 27, 2008.

1. mleibowi macrumors member

Hi All-

I'm using Time Machine for the first time to back up my relatively new macbook. It is backing up about 56Gb of data from my laptop, and it is taking forever. I have it hooked up via firewire 400, to a lacie 500Gb external hardrive. It's been something like 5hrs and only 7Gb have been copied. Does anyone know if it should take this long, and will it continue transferring data if the computer goes to sleep mode? If not, how do I set my macbook so that data continues to transfer?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

i would stop the back up and restart the backup process,
    but if you have a lot of big files it may take a long time

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sounds way to slow to me. I backed up ~45GB to my WD My Book using USB2 and it only took about 4.5 hours (if I remember correctly).

4. mleibowi thread starter macrumors member

Ok- i will stop and restart, but I have a feeling it will take just as long... It starts out fast, but when it gets to about 5 Gb, it slows down quite a bit. Just looking at the monitor- copied about 150mb in about 1 min, but then it slows down. Not sure why this happens. It seems to copy in spurts...

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you don't think it'll change or if you restart it and it doesn't change and continues to go slowly, just let it backup all night. Hopefully when you get up it'll be done. At least you only have to backup everything once.

6. mleibowi thread starter macrumors member

It's still slow- stuck at 7.65GB. Will it back it up all night? If my computer goes to sleep, does time machine still back up? Do I need to change the settings so that it doesn't go into sleep mode?

7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't go to sleep during the backup.

8. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

I had an issue with TM getting stuck. I think it was because I stopped and resumed the backup. Doing so would make stick somewhere along the way.

However, reformatting the drive and doing a "clean" backup did it eventually for me. It still took forever (~7 hrs for 60GB). Now, doing the incremental backups, TM works fine.

Hope this is helpful.
    /Rupert

9. MaccasW007 macrumors newbie

In using it for aegis and no lost files at this time. The OSX features are so much more than VISTA! :mad:

10. mleibowi thread starter macrumors member

So I let Time Machine do its thing over night, and it copied about 15GB of information. It apparently 'failed'? Should I reformat the ext hardrive and start it again?