Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Empyre, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Empyre macrumors member

Hello all, I'm brand new to a mac computer, well since the imac Graphite!! And I'm wondering if Time machine is OS X's equivalent to system restore in Microsoft? Sounds a lot like it but I'm not sure to enable it or not, sounds like the first time around it could take quite a while to back up all my information. It Also seems that it could potentially take up a bit of disk space...I have a 320GB HDD but still i'm not sure if I want time machine taking up a lot of space.

If someone could clarify these issues for me that would be great. It seems like there are some benefits and pitfalls to Time machine but I would rather be on the safe side....Just want to hear about it from a few of you before I do so!

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Time Machine is for backing up to an external hard drive. Its what we call a rolling backup, that runs every hour, keeping track of the changes that have been made to the hard drive. In order to do this, the first backup takes the longest because it has to go through everything on the hard drive.
    For more information on Time Machine, look up http://www.apple.com/support/leopard/timemachine/

3. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Jedi...I dont have an external drive so I suppose Time machine doesn't really apply to me quite yet :) But thanks for the link!