Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mynameisstiv, Nov 1, 2008.

1. mynameisstiv macrumors newbie

I use time machine with my macbook... i was wondering if I reinstall OS X and scrub my computer will i still be able to access my music again after its cleaned?

2. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Not sure try it but back it up onto an external HD or something just in case

3. kennyli macrumors regular

It depends on your settings in the Time Machine. You will see the "Options" buttom in the Time Machine. Click it and you will see some more options for the backup selections. Particularly, you will see ITunes Music as an option too ;)

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Yes, you could reinstall Mac OS X and restore your files from your time machine volume. I would back up important files elsewhere, though. I'm personally not one to rely on a back up to restore a system when it isn't necessary.

5. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I've restored 2 laptops with TimeMachine

First install OS X and after that's installed and you've set up your system like new restore your files from TimeMachine. If you have it set up for full backups and you are not omitting anything, then your music should be there. That's how I set up my last 2 laptops... in less than a half hour I had everything that was on my old one... on my new one. Awesome. If you're nervous about it, call Apple Support and they will walk you through it. Just be sure not to install the OS and Time Machine backup at the same time in the beginning, otherwise it takes a whole day to copy all your files. Tell them you want the short way, not the long way.