Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VaatiKaiba, Nov 2, 2008.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

Grr. This is the second time I've had to set up TM, and I don't think it's going well. I left it backing up overnight, only to find this morning that it's still 'Preparing...'. I can't remember from last time - does it normally take this long to begin? I only have 60 GB of info...

Thanks!

PS. Sorry about the vague title - I completely forgot to change it.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would say to cancel the current backup, restart the computer, then do it again. Are you backing up a lot of files? What type external drive are you using? My iTunes took an hour to back up one time, but Backup from mobile me, does it a little faster.

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm backing up my entire computer (minus whatever TM leaves out) which is about 60GB. And I'm using a Time Capsule for my drive (it's being done wirelessly).

4. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I tried what you said (stopped backup, restarted computer and started backup again) and it now comes up with the message: 'The backup disk image could not be mounted'. Now what?? I'm a little sick of TM if I'm honest. It worked perfectly, and then killed itself off...

Thanks for the help!

5. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just gone into my Time Capsule, and tried to "open" the sparsebundle, and it came up with a reason that the disk image cannot be mounted: 'No mountable file systems'. What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

6. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

Have you tried rebooting Time Capsule as well?

7. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by rebooting? I've reset every single setting - wiped the drive, reset all the default settings (using the button on the back of the actual thing)... Is there anything else I should have done?

8. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

Hmmm, can't think of anything else. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

9. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Don't know if this is the same thing but if you use a USB drive off a AEBS and you have the drive mounted when Time Machine tries to mount the Sparse bundle it will fail and you will have to delete it and start again. I don't know if this is also the case with the Time Capsule but I would think probably yes?

Also If you have spotlight indexing the drive I have heard this slows the back-up but have no idea how to disable this. It is OK for me so I haven't spent time on it.