Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SnowLeopard2008, Nov 15, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

How do you set up, step by step, Time Machine? I want to create a partition on my external HDD (40GB in size, 120GB capacity) and have it back up to that partition. Is it possible? I only use around <30GB so I figure 10GB extra space is more than enough.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

A slight note, the first Time machine backup, tends to equal what you have on your hard drive, unless you tell it to leave out somethings. Mine was 52 gb.

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I checked Activity Monitor.

Attached Files:

4. kolax macrumors G3

Should work - long as the partition is slightly bigger than how much space OS X is taking up. However, it'll hit capacity quite quickly. Ideally you'd want a partition twice the size so TM doesn't delete yesterdays backups to make space for todays.

5. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Time Machine

I am new to the Mac world and have a question about the TIme MAchine. In some of the books I've read, it indicates that I should be able to see the files in a backup on my external firewire drive. What I see is a screen that is entitled 'Desktop' with one folder in it called 'Virtual MAchines'. So how do I view the files in a particular backup? If I wanted to restore just one file, how do I view it to ask for the restore?

Bob:confused: