Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Udinpetot, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Udinpetot macrumors member

Hi guys,

can any1 enlighten me?
    i just bought an external hard drive, and i want to start using time machine
    but the idea is abit hard to understand.
    i know how the timing works. (hourly for the past 24 hrs, daily for the past .. etc etc etc)
    but im not sure if i should use time machine?
    my concern is...

usually the songs i downloaded will be put into the desktop,
    after i listen and i like it, i put it in the itunes library folder
    each week, id probably download 2/3 albums (200mb)

so the thing i want to ask is....
    during "pre backup time" i have 200mg on my desktop
    during "post backup time" i moved that 200mb to music library
    would it mean that i have 400mb in my time machine drive the next time back up?
    if yes, is there anyway not to waste my time machine drive?

2. kid rock macrumors regular

if at exactly the moment you have just moved the music into itunes and TimeMachine backs up, then yes you will have 400mb of data instead of 200mb

If i remember correctly you can tell TimeMachine to ignore certain folders (i may be wrong here,m im at work and only have a winblows machine) create a folder on your desktop to put the music you download and tell time machine to ignore the folder for backups.

That way you will only have 200mb not 400mb

3. kid rock macrumors regular

just checked, yes i was right :D

have a look at this link for more info about it

Time Machine info

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

by default in Leopard downloads are put in the "Downloads" folder in your home directory but you may have changed it to your Desktop im not sure.

i have my Downloads folder excluded because as like you i usually move my downloads somewhere else and trash the ones i dont need anymore. i also have my Desktop excluded as i use it as a temporary location and dont have very important files there.

5. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys

just 1 more question

if i got 1gb of songs in my drive, and i back it up, after i back it up i RENAME change id3 tags whatever etc etc without actaly deleteing any songs, will it back that up as new files? (2gb in total after 2 backups) ?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yup! :eek: probably better if you tag them before you start a backup.

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I'm also a noob to Time Machine ...

Can something ever be permanently (securely) deleted if Time Machine is active? Or is OS X smart enough that if you use Secure Delete, you won't want the file in your Time Machine backup either? Can files be deleted from Time Machine?

Suppose you rename a bunch of old files? For example, I just found a folder of old digital photos, all named DSCxxxxxx.jpg. If I rename them, will they appear under the old name and the new name?

mt

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

All your files are backed up (unless you specify ones not to be) every hour and so if you delete or securely delete a file before it is backed up it wont show in Time Machine. if you delete a file after it has already been backed up it can still be seen in earlier backups (back in time) but it wont be in future backups. if you rename a bunch of files Time Machine will treat them as new files and back up every one. the earlier named files are still accessible back in time.