Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ticman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ticman macrumors regular

new Mac; using external drive which needed to be reformatted;doing backup now and b/u 656,000 items.

Question; it has been running for hours now and still only has 6gb of 37gb backed up. Is this time frame normal? this is the first backup.

thanks all

2. ticman thread starter macrumors regular

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you see any Disk Activity in Activity Monitor?

[​IMG]

4. ticman thread starter macrumors regular

There is activity in the disk file albeit very slow.

i'm just concerned that it shouldn't be taking hours to backup, but maybe because of usb connection and first time backup this is par for the course.

???

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

USB offers speed of about 25-35MB/s, so 37GB should take less than an hour, but since this is Time Machine it will take longer. If you can let it run overnight, see if that might work.

If it is still copying in the morning there might be something wrong with it.

6. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

initial backup for me (roughly 60GB) takes overnight.

subsequent backups are pretty quick

7. tug macrumors 6502

theres nothing to worry about there, ive been through this one! when doing such a large file it could take like what seems forever mine did! try 39 hours! but happily everything was just fine after. hope this has been of a little help to you, tug :apple:

8. ticman thread starter macrumors regular

thanks Tug my b/u been running 18 hours and now i ONLY have 1.5 gig to go. Was all set to get a larger HD but will stick with what I have and see how it goes.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My first backup over USB (about 160 Gb) took pretty much overnight. I wouldn't worry.

10. Jackyl macrumors newbie

Unless you added more data to your Computer hard drive or deleted some, your External will only back up those changes. and the amount of space on the external will not change except for maybe a few MBs.