Time Machine ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by idyll, Mar 25, 2010.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

I plan to upgrade from a 24" iMac to a 27" iMac.

If I use Time Machine to make a backup of my current 24" iMac to an external hard drive, can I then connect that external hard drive to the new 27" iMac and get all of my data back that way? Will all of my Applications, iTunes music files, documents, pictures, etc. work on the new 27" iMac just as they did on the 24" iMac?

How would I go about doing this after I use Time Machine to make a backup of my current computer?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Yes, you can do that.
    Back up your first Mac via Time Machine, it will take a while depending how much you have stored on that Mac.
    Then during setting up the second Mac, use the Migration Assistant (you will be ask to use that to transfer data from another Mac or Time Machine backup) to transfer all your data from the Time Machine Backup.

2. MRoogle will answer you this in more detail, as it has been asked several times the past thirty days.

3. A more descriptive thread title could help you gather more audience.
    "Time Machine" is just the name of the software/system Apple delivers with Mac OS X, but it does not really describe what you want.

3. Salmar macrumors regular

Spinnerlys, you seem to have the patience of a saint in understanding and solving peoples problems. I give you credit. :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As spinnerlys said, yes, you can do that. Everything will remain the same, from iTunes album art to System Preferences (at least should :D). Time Machine is a wonderful app, very simple but so helpful.