Time Machine's Backup File

Discussion in 'macOS' started by StormSierra, Feb 9, 2009.

1. StormSierra macrumors newbie

I am new to all this so if it's a stupid question I'm sorry. Whenever TM does it's thing it puts a icon my desktop called backup of blablabla. Usually they disappear when its done. This time it didn't. What am I supposed to do with it? Why do they show up and should I have been moving them all along?

Any help is appreciated,
    Sarah

2. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I just eject mine (drag it to the trash, but the trash icon changes to an eject icon when you do this).

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nothing should show up on the desktop. :confused:

Is it the drive you are backing up to, and it only mounts when TM is about to backup?

4. StormSierra thread starter macrumors newbie

I am backing up to my Time Capsule. The back up file shows up while it is backing but usually goes away when done. It didn't this time. Here is a screenshot. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/StormSierra/screen-capture.png

5. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I'm assuming you're using time capsule. When it does a backup it mounts the drive where the backups are once it's done it unmount it.

If you enter time machine you'll notice how it mounts onto the desktop but it doesn't unmount when you are done. Maybe that's what you did? But whatever it was, all you need to do is press command + e or drag it to the trash like southerndoc said.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

7. StormSierra thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Thanks for the help everyone. It is much appreciated.

Sarah