Time more space and a new TC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nlawson1, Mar 22, 2013.

1. nlawson1 macrumors newbie

Hey,

There were A LOT of rumors at the beginning of the year about a new Time Capsule coming out. Anyone hear anything new about this? I need to upgrade my wifi (still using an Airport Extreme purchased around '04-'05) and I can't tell if it's safe to purchase one now or is this the time to hold and wait for the new one right around the corner.:confused:

I also need to expand my hard drive space.

I have an iMac (2010 Model) ATV, and an old Airport Extreme. I REALLY do not want to purchase new external HD's due to I would rather have Thunderbolt or USB3. It would be awesome if they added Thunderbolt to the TC, am I dreaming here??? Any other thoughts on expansion.:confused:

Anybody have any good experiences with Cloud based expansion ideas??:confused:

2. Bnorton macrumors newbie

Go get the Tome Capsule 2TB for $299.00. Stay with the 7.6.1 firmware. Add additional external hard drives as you require more space.

I have a 3TB plugged in to my TC via USB. Then I back up to both drives. This adds a extra layer of back up protection incase the TC hard drive goes bad.

As I am backing up 5 Macbook Pros in our home

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Does this break beyond 7.6.1? Mine are at 7.6.3.

Redundant backups are good. It is even better to use a 2nd backup program... to provide redundancy against programmatic (or human) errors. Offsite cloud backup is even better as the 2nd backup.

Still.... after already doing Time Machine + Crashplan+ cloud backup... having a redundant HDD for my TM backups would be nice.

/Jim

4. Bnorton macrumors newbie

The issue that apple will not discuss is with 7.6.3 There is no 7.6.2 because it was out for a day and they pulled it.

7.6.1 works great.