Time on a blurred background

WalterTizzano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Hi all, I have a questione that might have been answered already… sadly I don't know how to describe this in a succinct way, so I struggled to find it on here or online.

After a few seconds I use the apple watch (Series 5) whatever app is active gets covered by a blurred background with the current time in foreground. This makes very difficult to use workout apps (the one installed by default or any other). It's nice to have an always on display, but it's completely pointless if it shows that rather than the app I am using. I tried to look for a setting to disable this, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know how to disable this? Thanks a lot.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
3rd party apps will get blurred out like this for privacy reasons. There's no way to disable it.
The built-in Workout app does not get blurred, fwiw.

Reactions: WalterTizzano

WalterTizzano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Oh that is dreadful, there is really no point in always on display if it gets blurred. I’d rather be in control of my privacy and decide when and if it needs protection ☹

ps: the default workout app DOES get blurred too. Just tried.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Mine definitely blurs. But regardless of what it does on the default workout app, it should be possible to remove this ‘feature’ from any app, if the user doesn’t want it.
I see what you mean... If you were in the midst of a workout, it would not blur -- you'd be able to see your data continuously. If it were actually running, it would not fade out like that.

However, your discovery of apps being faded out when the display fades is not new. It's been discussed many times here. Only option is to send Apple some feedback.

WalterTizzano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
I see what you mean... If you were in the midst of a workout, it would not blur -- you'd be able to see your data continuously. If it were actually running, it would not fade out like that.

However, your discovery of apps being faded out when the display fades is not new. It's been discussed many times here. Only option is to send Apple some feedback.
Yeah I just sent feedback about it. I hoped there was an option to disable this, but from the answers received it’s clear there isn’t one at the moment. Maybe Apple will listen 🤞🏻

WalterTizzano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Apple likely won’t change it as they are very big on privacy after all
I don’t see privacy as being an issue at all. If I’m using a third party workout app the screen shows similar information it would if I was using the stock workout app… if there’s no privacy concern in one case there shouldn’t be in the other either… but anyway it should be up to the user to decide. After all they decided that the user can opt in to send Siri records to human listeners somewhere around the world, I’m sure that someone in the gym seeing how many seconds of exercise you have left is not that big of a problem. For how I see it this is a bug, I doubt it’s a deliberate behaviour.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
For how I see it this is a bug, I doubt it’s a deliberate behaviour.
Pretty sure it would need to be coded in to the apps specifically (if Apple allows it), since Apple's Workout app drops the 10ths of a second display and changes some other on-screen data to allow the reduced-refresh speed to happen. So if Apple were to allow 3rd party apps to remain on-screen, they'd still likely need to be coded especially for it.

Reactions: bp328i

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Pretty sure it would need to be coded in to the apps specifically (if Apple allows it), since Apple's Workout app drops the 10ths of a second display and changes some other on-screen data to allow the reduced-refresh speed to happen. So if Apple were to allow 3rd party apps to remain on-screen, they'd still likely need to be coded especially for it.
I was just going to say something about the refresh rate of the AOD and needing to be coded into apps as well.

TimothyL

macrumors regular
May 4, 2019
Hi all, I have a questione that might have been answered already… sadly I don't know how to describe this in a succinct way, so I struggled to find it on here or online.

After a few seconds I use the apple watch (Series 5) whatever app is active gets covered by a blurred background with the current time in foreground. This makes very difficult to use workout apps (the one installed by default or any other). It's nice to have an always on display, but it's completely pointless if it shows that rather than the app I am using. I tried to look for a setting to disable this, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know how to disable this? Thanks a lot.
The background blurs when you are using a app on the watch and then turn the wrist down or cover the screen to make it dim. When you are on the home screen with the watch face it dims but in an app it blurs the background so it will reopen when you pick back up the watch