Time out .... to log out issue?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fromcha06, Dec 24, 2008.

1. fromcha06 macrumors member

Hello All-

does anyone know how to stop my laptop from loggin out after being open and idle for a while? every time i goto sleep or go out for a few and return the computer logs itself off?! i tried to override this by playing itunes on mute just so it was doing something ... but that did not work either... can anyone help? it is really annoying!!!!

thanks and happy holidays!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

System Preferences > Security > Log out after n minutes of activity

3. bartelby macrumors Core

System Preferences - > security

Uncheck " require password to wake computer..."

4. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

if the computer is idol.... it will say "please confirm you are about to log out" or something along those lines... then it just logs me out of everything... so its like the computer just restarted

5. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

but can i still have my password on my screen saver?

i want to be able to block anyone from accessing my computer when i walk away.... like the "lock" feature

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What you need to do is change your security settings a little.

First of all, uncheck the "Log out after N minutes of inactivity" option, as that's the root cause of the problem you're having. Secondly, check "Require password to wake computer from sleep or screen saver". Finally, set a hot corner for the screen saver to activate (I use the bottom right). Once all that's done, all you need to do to secure your computer is to move your mouse to the corner you configured - the screen saver will activate, and will require a password to deactivate.