Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5iveOne5ive

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
steve station

>>What is that bag of stuff on the top shelf in the background?<<

Only because I'm using the same supersize display --my favorite Apple product of all time-- can I conject the bag envelopes a vintage electronic device, possibly a radio(?)

More precious, amongst the otherwise artless jumble is the product of another genius: an Alexander Calder Stabile, atop the speaker. Want.

5iveOne5ive

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
elephantine apple

And about that oversize screen....

Proportionally, the photo is an accurate representation for 2004.

I've had mine since 2005, and can attest they were huge; but regrettably lose an inch or so every year, and currently present compact.

Pray survivors within the iLoop retain regard for the one space size matters, and expand the outer edges, soon. 4orty, please!

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
The black box is a speaker... Older line of Genelec, the 2 cables are a power cable and the audio cable, self amplified.. -

Steve knew what he was doing. Genelec makes the finest speakers in the world. I have a pair as well. Just 6020a's, but they are absolutely superb.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I was amazed how well Diana's pictures tell a story of Steve that is refreshingly candid while being somewhat at odds with the picture I had in my mind based on Steve's persona as portrayed in the media. I love the helter-skelter chaos of Steve's home office and was floored to see Steve wearing a tie in the meeting shot. I'm a huge fan of the story telling power of B&W photography, and Ms. Walkers shots certainly due the art justice. The only questionable bit of the story was the caption for the shot of Steve and the Lisa,
Jobs with the Lisa, an early — and revolutionary — Apple computer, in 1982.
. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time, but Lisa's failure probably played it's role in the Macintosh's success.

thinkman

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
not G5

Why is the screen so big, but the Power Mac G5 so small?

Because it isn't a Mac of any sort! It is a G-Force Hard Drive. They are designed to compliment the G5, and are the drives I am told that Apple themselves recommend. I guess this picture is clear evidence of that!

techweenie

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
West LA
My favorite shot I took of Steve in his office

Not so many knick knacks in 1977...

Attachments

• acknowledgementw.jpg
    acknowledgementw.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 228

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Because it isn't a Mac of any sort! It is a G-Force Hard Drive. They are designed to compliment the G5, and are the drives I am told that Apple themselves recommend. I guess this picture is clear evidence of that!

Nope. Unless Gforce drives include tiny small expansion slots, tinyUSB® ports, micro-firewireports... It's a model

skydivingcoach

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2005
TEXAS
The small G5 is an external hard drive by OWC

That's what I kept trying to figure out. It looks like a PM G5 on the desk, but very small. Even if that is a large monitor, the PowerMac looks very tiny.

I think the small G5 is an external hard drive by OWC. I owned one that looked similar in size to that. Or it could be a model. Or a G-6 micro-tower.

Last edited:

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
here's a pic from an other angle:

Attachments

• steve_jobs_at_home_2.jpg
    steve_jobs_at_home_2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 565

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
SJ's In Home photo

The first photo was take of SJ by Steve Ringman back in 1985 in SJ's Jacking Mansion that is now demolished.

The second is a picture that was taken, only one of its kind, in nearly the same spot some 30+ years later. I nearly dropped my laptop when I saw the reprinted Steve Ringman photo and my photo...

Rest in peace Steve, the light from the corner door has called you home

Attachments

• SF Chronicle Front Page Pic.jpg
    SF Chronicle Front Page Pic.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 227
  • Gone too soon Macrumors.jpg
    Gone too soon Macrumors.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 206

Larrywb

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
CT
Neat freak

Huh. I always figured he was a neat freak. Kinda nice to see he's not.

I totally agree, from the unauthorized audiobook of Steve Jobs I listened to years ago, I heard his house remained empty for an extended period of time, till he could find the perfect pieces of furniture. I expected his office to be immaculate! Makes me feel better about my office....

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
That black box is a PC running windows.

That monitor is sure bigger than 30" - Why didn't we get one of those? He was obviously happy with it because he never tried out the new ones in his office...that window would have been nasty on those glossy screens!

----------

here's a pic from an other angle:

Interestingly enough from this other pic from another angle you can see that the mini G5 model is only there as a prop to keep his photo up. So maybe it's a G5 photo frame? it was probably, at very least, where he got the idea of the iPad.

Kinda like in Ace Ventura Pet Detective when Jim Carey has his crying game moment and realises it's a woman when he sees the dogs long hair over the photo.

Photo...Computer...Eureka! iPad!

Last edited:

supersoyary

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
That monitor is sure bigger than 30" - Why didn't we get one of those? He was obviously happy with it because he never tried out the new ones in his office...that window would have been nasty on those glossy screens!

Not sure if it's bigger than 30". Look at its size in relation to his keyboard. Unless that's a huge keyboard, the monitor is no bigger than a 30". That wide angle lens is exaggerating proportions like crazy!

And I see a fluid head tripod.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
So Steve used an iPod shuffle, it looks like there's one plugged into the cinema display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.