Time releases Top 10 iPhone Apps of 2009

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
As part of the yearly top 10 of everything, Time magazine has issued a top 10 iPhone apps list:

Top 10 iPhone Apps

The list wouldn't be my top ten, but then the only app that I have in it is Photoshop.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have 3 of them (Tweetie, Yelp and Photoshop) and I want to eventually get SlingPlayer when I get a Slingbox. I specially agree about Tweetie in the 1st place.

ejeezy87

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
i love the tweetie up but when the new update came out and they changed the way you retweet, it just kind of did a low blow to me.. so i went towards simplytweet. & especially with the push notification feature, simplytweet is simply-sweet! :p

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
i have tweetie ... there should be a upgrade price for tweetie 2. ok ok, i'll spend the 2.99 for the list. Just no big mac for lunch today.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
I don't have any of those apps and I have plenty of iPhone apps.

On the other hand, did you read the rest of the so-called top 10 lists. Top tech Gadgets - Droid, the Nook and the Dyson Air Multiplier?

I never have had much respect for Time magazine.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
The only one I have is photoshop.com app.

The ones I recommend are :

Pandora
icam source
messi.im
backgrounder (JB only)
3G unrestrictor (JB only)
glympse
midomi
uStream broadcaster (just released today)

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I have three of the apps (Yelp, Flight Track [though not the pro version], and slacker). Flight track is good if you fly a lot. I like checking it prior to leaving for airport to know if the flight is going to be delayed or not.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Ah that's a shame folks. Slingplayer is one of the best looking best designed apps for the iphone. And when you get past the graphics you can watch your cablebox and what's saved on your DVR. Sling on the Iphone is why I switched providers.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I love how the actual article content only takes up about 10% of the entire page. And, of course, each item in the list of ten has its own page. :mad:

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
I have none of those and maybe only use about 2 apps daily...guess I'm not much interested in the app store anymore (since 95% of it is junk).

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Time is entitled to their opinions, however

The Tribe Has Spoken

Apple's App Store 2009 Rewind
Most sales/profit ≠ best products.

Mac OS X > Windows

I have none of those and maybe only use about 2 apps daily...guess I'm not much interested in the app store anymore (since 95% of it is junk).
Maybe your thinking that is what makes you have no interest in the App Store. If it weren't for the App Store, I'd have switched to Android long ago.

Mischka07

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
Wow, I gotta check out Locavore. I have Yelp, but that's the only one I have on the list. Doesn't work that well either, it only shows 2 out of about 15 restaurants within a 5 mile radius of my house.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I never have had much respect for Time magazine.
This.

In case anyone else finds scrolling through the Times article irritating... here is their list.

1) Tweetie
2) Yelp
3) Slacker
4) Flighttrack Pro
5) Mint
6) SlingPlayer Mobile
7) The Small Chair / McSweeney's
8) RunKeeper
9) Photoshop.com Mobile
10) Locavore

I guess their distribution of topics is pretty much in keeping with what's hot in apps this year. The only app on this list I've ever had is Yelp, and I deleted it because I used UrbanSpoon much more often. I might try Tweetie yet. SlingPlayer would be cool if I still had a DVR, but the DVR is long been boxed up. McSweeney's is an odd choice -- if one wanted to recognize paid literary content on the iPhone, the fact that Amazon put Kindle on it is much more significant.

Meanwhile, I continue to think Time Magazine socioculturally irrelevant, although they do have good photographers, and Pico Iyer has some interesting things to say (which are better read in his books anyways).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.