Time set incorrectly? Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gumbygreenphoto, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Gumbygreenphoto macrumors newbie

My iPhone sets the time three minutes faster than the correct time. I have the phone set to “Set Automatically" in the General Settings area. Any idea why and ideas to correct the silly problem?

From where does the “Set Automatically" pull the time? From ATT?

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It pulls the time from the local cell tower. At you sure the iPhone is wrong and not the other clock(s)?

3. Gumbygreenphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure the iPhone is wrong and not the other clock(s)?[/QUOTE]

Good question. Since the iPhone is three minutes ahead, it pretty easy to see that it is incorrect when compared to various time sites such as:
    www.time.gov/
    www.timeanddate.com

So, it gets the time from the local cell tower? Change the phone's location and the time will change?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To change the iPhone's time while it's still set to automatically update, you'll have to physically go to a different area where you're iPhone will pickup the new cell time. Not sure how long it'll take to update the time.

As per the correct time, I suggest watching a new channel like Fox or CNN and watch the clock on there, the Internet clocks can be a little off.

5. triptyx macrumors member

triptyx

There's a tower or two up here in North Dallas that are running up to 10 minutes fast. I've finally just shut off the auto-time update. :(

6. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16

O2 not AT&T here in UK - but O2 time-server may be broken

I had similar problem but I'm in the UK so my time probably comes from O2. I found someone in another forum saying the O2 time server in UK is not working; thread was about Broadband but it gave me a simple idea.

1. Take the iPhone off "automatic"
    2. Set the date and time manually.

Not sure yet whether to put it back to automatic though, in case I forget when the daylight saving changes and become confused.