Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShubhamBhatia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I have a sales team of 50 people and they all have different data. They sometimes mail me, and sometimes i need to see the progress. And most of the time they are not in the office.

Can i have one computer with different users. and each sales executive will have their respective user and can save their excel sheet on desktop and all other data. They would not be able to see each other's data but i as an administrator would be able to go any user's desktop or documents to only read that file without knowing their passwords.

i dont want to put it on icloud drive or mail me. Sometimes they send me the sheets i really dont need to see, but they have to because i might need someday.

is there any solution to that ?

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
If they are not in the office, then how are they "saving their spreadsheet to the desktop"? Either way, you may create accounts on your Mac that each have different passwords. Each account will have their own home directory and desktop directory. That functionality is already built-in to MacOS.

Reactions: Toutou

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Dropbox. You can set up a folder for each person, they can't see one another's folders but you can see all of them.

ShubhamBhatia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
If they are not in the office, then how are they "saving their spreadsheet to the desktop"?

I want them to save sheets on their desktop, whenever they work on it, and when i want to see i would be able to look at it even when they are not in the office.

My administrator user should have access to all user's data. Despite of knowing their passwords. Because i cant remember each respective password. And if it is same, they all will sneak into each other's data. Which contains client lists and all.
[doublepost=1488709758][/doublepost]
Dropbox. You can set up a folder for each person, they can't see one another's folders but you can see all of them.

Thank you, this is great. But they have to put their file on dropbox. They will forget to put this on.

What is easier way ? They dont have to do anything. It should just works. "Like apple".

They should not put file anywhere, still i would have access to their user, without password and look through all of the files.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Thank you, this is great. But they have to put their file on dropbox. They will forget to put this on.

What is easier way ? They dont have to do anything. It should just works. "Like apple".

They should not put file anywhere, still i would have access to their user, without password and look through all of the files.
I guess the confusion here, is are all 50 people using one computer? If not, your initial question doesn't make much sense. And if they are all sharing one computer, logistically that's going to be insane. Each person gets 9.6 minutes per work day to use the computer?

Assuming they each have their own Mac, then a Dropbox-like solution is good for remote users. Otherwise you could use an OS X Server with each user having a network folder but that's not an ideal solution unless they're all local.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
It's a bit scary that a head of(?) a 50 man sales team has to ask for help in a public forum for an IT solution that should be provided by the company. But maybe it's just me.

And this sentence: "And if it is same, they all will sneak into each other's data."

Is this some kind of Nigerian spam company? LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.