Time Since Calibration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MurphyM, Nov 11, 2009.

1. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Any way to display the amount of time since battery calibration? I don't see it in the Profiler. CoconutBattery doesn't seem to have it either from what I see on their site - which means the information probably isn't available. Anyone?

Mostly looking for this to ensure the calibration was successful. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know of any way to track past calibration, since it's no different than just letting the battery drain down. There's no way to determine a "successful calibration", other than seeing another battery cycle. If you followed the instructions, you're fine. If you need a reminder to calibrate, just add one in iCal to repeat every month.

3. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

That's kind of what I'm asking. Is it really just the same as any other cycle? And if it is, why the elaborate instructions that make it sound like both the drain and charge need to be continuous? I realize part of the drain instruction is to FULLY drain after hibernation kicks in...

I'm wondering if the battery processor is "smart enough" to know the difference between a broken cycle and a continuous one. Seems like if it were there'd be a calibration line item in the information reported by the battery...

I've got near 200 cycles on a unibody Macbook and the battery performs about the same as it always did.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibration has nothing to do with, and has no effect on your battery life. It has to do with keeping the reporting of your battery's status accurate.

5. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

That's interesting, but my question still stands about whether or not you need to drain and charge continuously in one shot or if any full drain and charge cycle, with interruptions, will function as calibrating.

The previous poster implied any cycle will do it - so again - I'm asking why Apple provides such detailed instructions and indicated you must drain and then charge without interruption.

The Apple support document also says that calibrating will "keep the battery operating at maximum efficiency. " Maybe that just means cycling? Hard to tell, it's not a very informative document.

I thought I was being clear but maybe I'm not...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The calibration instructions are very clear about draining the battery completely before recharging. There is no ambiguity in the instructions.

7. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what you're missing about my question. But you said in your first reply: "it's no different than just letting the battery drain down."

I have read and understand the Apple instructions. But your comment that "it's no different than just letting the battery drain down," is what leads to ambiguity.

"Just letting the battery drain down" is not the same as following the Apple instructions you included in your last post, which have more requirements than "just letting the battery drain down."

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My point is, there's no method of tracking calibration history separate from battery cycles. A calibration IS a battery cycle, but it's done intentionally, completely, at one time, according to the instructions. Therefore, there is no method for tracking calibration history.

9. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

If what you say is true, it shouldn't matter if after I drain the battery completely it becomes unplugged for a while during the recharge.

I had reason for asking. And despite your confidence in your replies there is still the question of why the Apple instructions say that you should charge continuously. Either way it's a cycle. My question is that although all calibrations are a cycle it's not readily evident that all cycles are a calibration. Otherwise why follow the steps and have to be careful not to interrupt the charging?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, seriously, but you're replying as if you know these things are facts without citing any proof.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A calibration is a battery cycle, but a battery cycle isn't necessarily a calibration. The difference is quite clear, if you read and understand the calibration instructions. The "proof" is spelled out in Apple's instructions. If any regular battery cycle would suffice, Apple wouldn't have made specific instructions on calibration.

11. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate you trying to help, but your last comment is a combination of repeating what I just said and a contradiction of your first reply. I don't know where to go from there. But thanks for your time anyway.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's really not that hard to understand. Just calibrate your battery, following Apple's detailed instructions, about once a month. Otherwise, just use your computer as you normally would. You'll be fine.