Time to buy a 30" cinema display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2contagious, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

    2contagious

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    Hello everybody,

    I was planning to buy a 30" cinema display this summer for my studies and hobby (graphic design, photography, ...). Do you think it's the right time to buy one or do you believe that it's too probable that there's going to be a new version soon? :/
     
  2. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    Its possible that a new one will come out on or before WWDC in June, cross your fingers :)
     
  3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

    AppleNewton

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Location:
    1 Finite Place
    #3
    i like the ones they have now, i mean who knows if the new ones (if there are new ones), will be what you like/want?

    Theres no hurt in getting one now and reselling it later; though i admit its a hassle, even a refurbished one for cheap and sell later if and when the new one comes out might not be a bad idea, i sure like mine and would love another one
    :p
     
  4. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

    skyline r34

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2005
    Location:
    San Diego
    #4
    Am also in the market to buy a 30-inch but waiting until WWDC 2008 to see what happens but willing to wait even longer if I have to, i'm not in a rush, all the 30-inch i've seen so far HP, Gateway, Samsung, Dell 3008, and Apple Cinema etc... but the Cinema os my choice because I want everything Apple and it's Silver while the others are Black that doesn't go well with a Mac Pro, if I was you wait for a bit and see what happens because Apple Cinema with a contrast ratio of 700:1 compare to others that range from 1000:1 to 3000:1, the cinema display needs to have better response time, the Current Cinema Display been out for 4 years, it's time for a refresh.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YePLttAPGs
     
  5. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

    2contagious

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    yeah.. that's what I was thinking.. I really like the current 30" apple display and I hope that when the new version is going to be announced and I don't like it (or it's too expensive), the current version will still be available. I was looking at the prices and I could get one for about 1300 euros as a student in the UK (still not as cheap as in the US, but better than the prices in Germany and France (normal price 1800, 1500 as a student)).
     
  6. xraydoc macrumors 604

    xraydoc

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #6
    Personally, I'd wait for HDMI/HDCP support before sinking nearly $2000 in to a new display.
     
  7. supercooled macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    #7
    It's my educated guess that Apple will not update just the ACDs but they would have to update the Mac Pro simultaneously. I don't think they will do one anytime soon, unfortunately. You may see one when OLED becomes viable but going with that roadmap, it could be some years yet.
     
  8. Bubba Satori Suspended

    Bubba Satori

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    B'ham
    #8

    Yeah, looks like the ACD is on a 5 year refresh cycle. :rolleyes:
     
  9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Denver Colorado
    #9
    It hasn't been five years since the last refresh, the last happened very quietly in 2006 so we may be waiting for three more years then.
     
  10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #10
    I would wait figure out if the current one would suit all your needs, and if so...wait until after WWDC, because chances are we are not going to see an update, clearly if they thought iSight was a necessity the update would have already come...and every week a new post comes out talking about the right time to buy, and well...we all seem to think that updates are coming a lot quicker then what Cupertino has planned.
     
  11. supercooled macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    #11
    I'm anxious to get one myself but the fact that Apple has not come out and said they're extricating from the display market, an update is forthcoming. In hindsight, I would have been happy with the 2.66Ghz Mac Pro but it just wasn't time to buy for me as I was still getting good mileadge from the MBP. It was just coincidence that they released the January update when I decided to buy. That all said, I am shopping around for a 30" so if a sweet deal comes along, I won't bat an eye.

    What I'm saying is that if you want one, buy one. It's like people who ask about a good time to build a computer and want to get the best bang for their buck. To me, the longer you wait, the worse it is. I rather get it today and enjoy it today; any update would be negligible in some respects.
     
  12. Analog Kid macrumors 601

    Analog Kid

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2003
    #12
    I'm playing the waiting game myself... I see displays as being different from the computer itself-- I expect the display to last for a few generations of computers. I also find it easier to equate performance to productivity than comparing display to productivity. If you're doing color work and have a garbage display, then that equation gets a lot easier.
     
  13. brettjohn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #13
    i would get one now. when they came out they were (AU)$5000 and have stayed at that price for years. Then they dropped to $2500 so I picked one up.

    i'm sure they're going to release a new one and probably go back up to the higher price. I can't complain with the one I have. Had it for almost a year and it's still a brilliant monitor.
     

Share This Page