Time to buy a mac Pro...or switch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrSmith, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. BrSmith macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    #1
    Hi,

    Been waiting to but a Mac Pro since December. Thought there might be price cuts on the quad 2.66 and a video upgrade, so kept waiting. No such luck on last weeks upgrade.

    So...then hoped leopards' release would be when the new pros would come out. Thought that would be by June...now delayed to October.

    My questions;

    1) This whole 'move resources to iphone thing' concerns me...is this the beginning of the end of the Macs being a priority or even a concern for the new Apple? If so, is it time to switch platforms....again.

    2) If you were to buy a Mac Pro, would you tomorrow? Why wait, what are the chances of them updating the line again without leopard? I don't need to upgrade now....but must before October.

    3) If you bought a Mac Pro tomorrow, what options would you pick? I am thinking the base 2.66 model. Thinking is, get the lowest price model at that speed, then get updated video card when it becomes available.(will go to third party sellers to upgrade ram and drives.) Or is it smarter to pay the upgrade for the x1900 now?

    Thanks for any advice you can offer...I'm coming to the sad realisation that the Mac I really want may never happen....:(
     
  2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

    Erendiox

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2004
    Location:
    Brooklyn NY
    #2
    If I were to get a mac pro now, I would go with the base 2.66 model. Not sure about the x1900 option. I might jump on that too. I'd then grab up as much ram from crucial as I could afford. I would then, henceforth, have a kickass machine.

    That aside, I wouldn't buy one now. They're very much due for standard speed bumps and/or price drops sometime soon, and I doubt very much that they're going to wait for leopard to do so. Mac Pros haven't had an update since September of last year, so it's been long in the tooth.
     
  3. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    #3
    They actually haven't had an update since August. There should be a price cut in July on the Mac Pro as I think intel is scheduled to cut prices on the Xeon chips right around then.
     

Share This Page