Time to buy a new mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftball999, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ftball999 macrumors newbie

Well it has come time for me to buy a new mac. I had a 15in mbp and the logic board started to go bad so i sold it off. Now I am in the process of buying a new one but I am just quite sure on what I want. They just release the new air and it looks sweet but I am not sure if I want to go with that or a pro again. Also, I've heard that apple is going to release an upgrade to the pro this fall. Should I wait for a while? Right now I'm attempting to make due with my ipad and iphone....and borrowing my friends pro.

2. simsaladimbamba

The "update/redesign" is only a rumour, it may happen, but it is more likely, that a new MBP model will be released in early 2012, when Intel releases new CPUs.

And as in all of these threads, what are your computational needs?

3. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am going to be a junior engineering college student. I watch a lot of videos, surf, I do some picture and video editing but not a ton. I have played a few games in the past...mainly mine craft but other than that not much.

4. simsaladimbamba

Then the current MBAs and MBPs are more than up to the tasks. No need to wait for another six months or so.
    Even a Mac from 2008 or 9 can do what you want.

5. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

6. simsaladimbamba

7. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any chance they would bump the speed in august? I just wouldn't want to buy a new one now and then have them up something in a month.

8. simsaladimbamba

No chance. And even if, your stated computational needs will be fully satisfied by the current MBPs and the two or three generations before that.

9. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Even a slight speed bump would make me happy... I just don't want to get one that is 5 months old when I could get one that's slightly faster for the same price in a few months.

Even though (it too will also be out dated in a matter of months).

10. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay..So which current computer do you like more? The Air or the Pro? I will probably be sticking with the 13in either way.

11. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Air for the Weight, Speed and Form-Factor.

MBP for the Quality Screen, Storage, and ability to Upgrade.