Time to buy Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr Strangelove, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

Any suggestions on a reputable source? Is Ebay still the best place to get it these days?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Amazon or LA Computer (online if you're not local). eBay is a risk that you can take (I do) but you best know it is just that ... a risk. Unless of course you get a box.

3. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the quick reply Jessica. I do not understand the risk from Ebay. Is it not just a product code you enter that follows your Mac?

4. Ravaged macrumors newbie

If you purchase from a reputable source on ebay the risk factor is essentially zero.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd avoid ebay for applecare, at least those that sell them w/o the box. I've seen plenty of "reputable" sellers selling these.

It seems quite easy to counterfeit the registration number and that's what they provide. If it is counterfeit, apple may in the course of time ask for the serial number on the box. No box, no serial number, no coverage.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

People have figured out how to fraudulently generate product codes that will successfully register. If someone sells you a fraudulent code, and then someone else legitimately comes along and buys an AppleCare box that has the same code that you were fraudulently issued, guess whose AppleCare gets canceled?

Basically, if there is ever a dispute and you can't provide the AppleCare box, the card inside of the box that has the code, and a receipt from an authorized reseller, you've lost the dispute.

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

The chances of generating a code that apple will sell is almost zero. Pretty much the same as generating valid credit card numbers.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you seen the other thread on here where people have had that happen?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually that's quite untrue, as there are plenty of threads about this. It does not take a mathematical genius to figure out the algorithm apple uses.

Here's a post about the subject matter on ebay's forums ebay

Oh and its quite easy to generate credit card numbers which is why we now need to type in that 3 or 4 digit security code and that's why the issuing bank should also check the credit card number against the phone number on the account.

10. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

So is the verdict to use EBAY or not? I am thouroghly confused now. :confused:

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure why you're confused - if its easy for people to counterfeit the registration number and scam you on ebay, then you should avoid ebay.

Just go by the old saying: If its too good to be true, then it probably is. If you see applecare warranties being sold for 150 but apple sells them for 350, something's up. I bought mine at Amazon, cheaper then apple but a reputable dealer and as I mentioned, I got the box with the serial number.

12. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Why risk it when there are safe alternatives. If the price difference will break you then you have bigger issues and need to be selling the laptop for food.

13. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I stand corrected. Thank's.

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

checkout the other thread about this, buying ac on ebay. There is a user over there, ebay member with 99.9% reputation on ebay. Seems he has a practically 100% success rate, which leads me to think these are AC boxes, that are then just thrown away. there ARE other ways to get it that are not available to retail customers.

Find the thread, I've done that path and saved a lot.

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Personally I would stay away from E-Bay. When you bring your computer in for repair, Apple MAY ask you to provide proof of purchase of AppleCare. If its not purchased through an authorized dealer, they may not honor the warranty.

Just be aware that it can happen. It's a gamble.

16. MacFon macrumors newbie

I purchased AppleCare for my macbook pro about six months ago. I recently had a battery issue and took my laptop to the Genius bar, where they determined I had AppleCare. My problem was resolved under warranty. Is it possible that I could have a problem with my ebay AppleCare in the future?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you get a box, or were you sent a code?

If its the latter, its quite possible you could run into issues later. The thing is that counterfeit codes are valid codes and until someone actually buys the boxed valid version, you code will work. When someone does that and registers the code, the next time you need it, apple will respond asking for the serial # on the box to validate your applecare. If you cannot produce the code, they will invalidate the warranty.