Time to buy my macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by febbing, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. febbing macrumors newbie

    Jan 9, 2007
    Hey there.

    So a question for those coming down from the Steve Jobs high :D

    I have been eyeing a macbook for a while and am now convinced its what i need :)

    So is there any reason not to buy right now? I had held off in case macworld revealed changes in specs/pricing. So now that the keynotes are over is there anything to make me hold off for a week or two? Should i wait for anything else to crop up during the expo?

    As a pre-newbie I dont really know how these things go.

  2. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Everyone was kinda expecting iLife updates...
  3. wako macrumors 65816

    Jun 6, 2005
    Do people honestly use iLife? I never touched GarageBand, iMovie, iDVD, or iWeb. I guess Im just not creative enough to use it.....
  4. IEatApples macrumors 6502a


    Jan 26, 2004
    Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
    Everyone was kinda expecting updates... :(
  5. spiritmn77 macrumors newbie

    Jan 9, 2007
    I'm in the same boat

    I've been waiting a month to buy the MBP until after Jobs' keynote speech. If for nothing else, saving $80 on iLife 07'. I was also hoping to save on OS 10.5, since I read that if they announce a ship date, then there is only a $20 upgrade fee (thus saving an additional $130)....

    My hopes....Save $210
    So Far...Waste a month waiting for nothing.

    Not fun...and my wife started her Semester in school this past Monday.

    I guess I'll wait a little longer for an iLife announcement that is speculated about....

  6. theheyes macrumors regular

    Mar 8, 2006
    Go for it. An update is never that far away. Just buy it now and be satisfied, otherwise you'll be putting it off forever. :)
  7. spiritmn77 macrumors newbie

    Jan 9, 2007
    At least microsoft...

    ...gives upgrade options.

    This will be my first Mac purchase ever, mainly because my wife wants one and I'm buying for her. Then, if I like it, I'll buy one mid year. If not...I'll look for a Windows Laptop.

    It's completely stupid that for 3 years in a row they updated thier iLife software, but not this year. No peep of anything. It's also stupid that I have to be scared about buying a computer and then having to plunk down another $80 in the next 2 or 3 weeks to get up to date.

    :mad: :mad: :mad:
  8. fireball jones macrumors member

    May 31, 2006
    The old advice is; if you need it, buy it. If you can wait, wait.

    It is pretty lousy 10.5 and iLife 07 weren't mentioned, I'm considering a new mini (no updates there either!) or a macbook, and those two pieces of software are a big part of the price on the low end machines.
  9. antonioconte macrumors newbie

    Mar 4, 2005
    I too am toying with selling my Powerbook G4 17" 1.67 and getting a new MBP 17" - not sure though. any news out there? I could wait I suppose a few months?
  10. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    It was reasonable to wait until after the keynote to buy, but why get upset over possibly spending an extra $79 in a few months? iLife06 is good. You may find that you don't use it or that the current software is enough. Leopard will be out in a few months and I expect to see another event on its release. I really don't see how yesterday's keynote could have covered much more than it did. If saving $200 is important to you, keep waiting and get Leopard for free too. Otherwise buy the machine, make your wife happy, and see if iLife is really that important to you. I'm still using iLife05 because I only use iPhoto.

    Instead of buying a Windows machine for yourself, put Windows on the machine you buy for your wife so you can both use it. That will save more than $79. Best wishes.

Share This Page