Time to buy new MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TopGear300, Dec 27, 2008.

  1. TopGear300 macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #1
    Hi,

    So I can't say I was a cool kid and got a new MB for christmas:D. But I did get a bunch of gift cards to help absorb some of the cost. I have already decided im going to go with the 2.4 MB but with macworld around the corner and rumors of new intel processors coming in 2009... is this the time to buy? I am in no rush to buy one, I already have an iMac and am in love, really.

    MacRumors Buyer's Guide says buy now but not in green bold :D so just wanted to get everyone's opinion....

    THANKS!
     
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #2
    The MacBooks were just released in October so you are pretty safe buying one now. And congrats on the MacBook when you get it :)
     
  3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

    ChrisN

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2007
    Location:
    Demarest, NJ
    #3
    If your in the market for a laptop then now is the time to buy, they just updated them in October. You might as well wait to see if there is anything besides a notebook that catches your attention at MacWorld.

    ChrisN
     
  4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
  5. Solemony macrumors 6502

    Solemony

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2008
    Location:
    Wonderland
    #5
    Buy now since they just release not too long ago. Unless you want to see what new things are coming out during MacWorld..:)
     
  6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #6
    There will probably be a new one in 3-5 months, feel free to wait it. You could also wait until Snow Leopard is released and save yourself $129.
     
  7. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #7
    Thanks everyone!

    I am definitely going to wait through MacWorld, I mean its next week already.

    My rule of thumb is usually if it is like a major redesign, then the update is worth waiting for. But since that happened in october, and probably won't happen again for years... the update will just be a speed bump. I usually say those are not worth waiting for, but idk since I already have an iMac and am in no rush to buy myself the MB, i would not like to :apple: give a speed bump in the next few months after I already bought it, ya know?

    Any other opinions, whats the deal with the new intels coming in 09'?
    Thanks
     
  8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #8
    You know, if you wait maybe three or four months, you will probably get a new version of iLife, Snow Leopard, and upgraded processor... Worth the wait if you are willing to wait.

    If it were my money, I would buy now as I would want to use it, and the new MB is amazing. I have the 2.4 myself and love it. So, it all comes down to timing. Can you wait?

    Good luck whichever way you go.
     
  9. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #9
    Interesting, very good point!

    When is snow leopard coming out? ( with the new iLife, etc)
     
  10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #10
    ^ rumors say early 2009, as in the first 4 months.
     
  11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #11
    I wouldn't believe those. Sure, OpenCL got finished far more quickly than anticipated, but I still don't expect Snow Leopard until WWDC.
     
  12. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #12
    Hmm thats always in June... and i can't wait that long... haha

    Maybe they will release the release date at MacWorld?

    any word on the new intel chips coming?
     
  13. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #13
    Best time to buy a MacBook right now. If you want you can wait til after MW because something new might come along...so if you want to be super safe just wait til next week. We might get new iLife or something.
     
  14. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #14
    Definitely worth waiting for at least one week haha!

    Any numbers out there yet for the new intel processors? :D
     
  15. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #15
    I'm in the same boat. I've just sold my Late 2006 MBP and I am looking to use the money to fund a new Aluminium Macbook although I'll probably go with the 2.0GHz due to finances (I can't justify the extra £200 for an extra 400MHz).

    But yeah, I would definately say wait until MacWorld. I don't need a Macbook (or any laptop really) because I've got a Dell work laptop which I will be using in the meantime, but I know if I don't buy something soon, I will spend the money on something else (I'm rubbish at saving lol).

    Guess it depends how desperate you are for new features. As many have said, I don't think their will be much more than speed bumps (and maybe a price drop if the discontinue the white Macbook), but other than that and the possibility of iLife 09, I don't think there's much gonna happen.
     
  16. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #16
    I know the $300 (400 pounds) is a lot but If I don't get that backlit keyboard I know I will regret it haha :D. Is there definitely a new iLife coming? Just because I have heard of snow leopard obviously but haven't heard anything about a new iLife? Whats so great about it?
     
  17. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #17
    Yeah I know what you mean about the backlit keyboard...we'll see, I would kinda like that feature, and I think the 2.4GHz has a slightly bigger hard drive, etc.

    I think if you google iLife 09 there are a few threads on other forums with speculations and it is anticipated that Apple will update is as they did every year until 2007 (which they skipped and went straight to '08). Unfortunately, as always...no one knows but Apple
     
  18. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #18
    HAHA how surprising?

    If it helps at all, I hear the 2.4 MB goes for about $1399 refurb so... 950 pounds, somewhere around there? Get the features u want for half the upgrade price!:cool::eek:
     
  19. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #19
    Yeah, I just worked out the Higher Education price as I'm a uni student and the 2.4MB is £969 whereas the 2.0 is £799 so it's an extra £160 which is still better than £200
     
  20. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #20
    So what are these new intel processors all about and are they worth the wait?
     
  21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #21
    You mean the Intel Core i7s? Here's a wikipedia article about.
     
  22. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #22
    Are these the new ones going into the MacBooks?
     
  23. himynameisjon macrumors newbie

    himynameisjon

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #23
    na not for awhile, the intell processor info got leaked prematurely it all new tech and it wont be easy to get a hold of untill 2012, or untill the hardware and software has a demand for the power
     
  24. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #24
    2010 early..2012 you're looking at entirely new stuff.
     
  25. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #25
    hmm so the next speed bump for the macbooks... what will be in them?
     

Share This Page