Time to decide on AppleCare for my ATV 4k

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by coolbreeze2, Sep 12, 2018.

1. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502

coolbreeze2

It's almost a year since I purchased my ATV 4k. So, it's time to decide if I should pay $29 for extra for one more year of coverage. I have had zero hardware issues. My device rarely gets touched. It's connected to the TV in my bedroom and stayed except may be the 2 or 3 times I connected to the living room TV to allow company to watch. Is that movement enough to justify buying extended coverage? Also, does the coverage provide replacement if I drop it and brake it?

2. chrfr macrumors 604

There's no accidental damage coverage for the Apple TV with AppleCare. I have a tough time thinking that the price is worth it. Apple TVs are perhaps Apple's most reliable product.

3. coolbreeze2 thread starter macrumors 6502

coolbreeze2

I tend to agree with you. I was thinking the same thing. Have you heard about anyone having hardware issues? I have not.

4. chrfr macrumors 604

No, never. I'm still using an ATV3 in my bedroom that works perfectly.

5. Lumpy05 macrumors regular

I’d say no to AppleCare for tv. I have ver 2, 3, and now two 4ks. Zero issues all still work like new. The remote is the only breakable part and remote loss/breakage isn’t covered afaik.

6. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I also say no. I got mine in March, 2018 and it's been fine. It has no moving parts so I assume it'll be running fine for a while.

I also have an apple tv3 that has been running fine for years except the wifi no longer works.

7. cynics macrumors G4

It might be insulting to some to say the AppleTV is cheap, however for me personally its cheap enough to risk not getting AppleCare+. A 5000 dollar Mac is a different story for me but I'll take the gamble on the AppleTV and if it breaks I'll just suck it up and buy a new one but not have to worry about finances.

That said I have 2 AppleTV's in the house and I've owned two 3rd gens. I haven't had a problem that I wasn't able to fix myself.