Time to Get and iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Josheua, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Josheua macrumors regular

Hello All,

I recently had my iPod video stolen from me and after two weeks of no iPod, i realized I can't do it. I need my iPod. I live by it. I was looking at the iPod touch, with it's added functionality given by the January Update, and was wondering if it is time to get an iPod Touch? Does the update allow you to sync (both ways) your iCal events? I was looking at the 16 gig iPod Touch. I have only 7.3 Gigs of Music and Don't plan on Carrying More than One or Two movies with me at a time and have 2.2 gigs of pictures (some of which I need to clean out and delete). Will 16 gigs be enough for me to add programs down the road as well as have storage for my events and such or should I hold out for a 32 gig Touch? Any advice would he helpful.

-Josheua

2. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

The Calendar interface on the Touch is extremely useful. Together with the Address Book and Notes applications, my Touch saved me from the insane asylum when I was without my MacBook for a week (broken backlight took it in for service). For combination iPod and PDA functionality, I don't think it can be beat.

I've yet to read/hear even whisperings of a 32GB model. My vote is for immediate purchase. :)

3. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Personally, I find the Touch/iCal integration to be useless. I'm pretty anal about keeping things colour organized by categories, etc and the Touch ignores this and lumps all into one category. Defeats the purpose for me... your mileage may vary. Other than that, the Touch is very nice! ;)

4. mechler macrumors member

Skype on ipod touch ever?

I'm also considering taking the plunge soon. I know there will eventually be increased capacity and/or price reductions on the touch. But if they are updated on a similar schedule as the other ipods, it may not be for another six months.

For me the bigger issue is Skype. If there were true Skype functionality, I would have bought one yesterday. That program, along with the already existing functions, would allow me to leave my laptop, dvd player, and current mp3 player at home when I travel. (I think I'm talking myself into it, even without Skype)

Anyway, does anyone know the future of skype on the touch? Also, what's the whole SDK thing about?

5. tidytrev macrumors regular

sdk stands for software development kit, its just the code that people can implement into there games and apps so it will run on the touches software.
    so there is a chance that skype could be implemented

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I, too, am wondering when I should get a Touch. I know it will be my next iPod, but my old iPod Video is still pretty young and works wonderfully. Yet, I am really wanting for the features of the Touch.

I'm not too excited to spend money right now, but how long will it likely be until these things are updated? Six months, someone said? I'd love a 32GB version, and I can wait that long if I really need, but is there any chance of something major by, say, summer? Either way, I know I couldn't get one for at least a few months, so given that, is it more worth it to wait, or to get one as soon as it's convenient?

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

As far as photos are concerned, iTunes compresses the photo files before syncing them to your iPod Touch or iPhone. So 2.2GB of photos will not be anywhere near that -- maybe less than 1GB. Keep that in mind when purchasing.

I say go for it!

8. jjaenagle macrumors member

yea 16 gigs should be plenty! im sure a 32 gig will come out within a year or two at least lol

9. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

Don't Get 8 Gb...

Don't get a 8 GB because it comes with exactly 7.3 GB instead of the full 8 (most people will understand what im talking about) everything that has a HD does have exactly what it is advertised so if u have exactly 7.3 GB it doesn't leave any room for movies or pictures. Just give u the heads up. :)

10. mechler macrumors member

What software do you guys use to put movies on to the ipt? What size would, say, a 5gb movie be once you compress it down (retaining decent to good quality, of course)? Just curious how many movies I could fit on at a time (although using this as a movie player isn't the primary reason I'd like to get one)

I'm familiar with ripping dvds, compressing them to fit on a dvd5, etc.

thx

RE: waiting for the an update..

In my opinion, you could wait forever for the "next big improvement" and you will waste all of the time up until that point where you could have enjoyed the current tech. When the 32Gb version comes out, it will be tempting to wait for the 64Gb, etc, etc...

Having said that - when something (like the macbook pro) is on the verge of an update, it may make sense to wait a little while.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

To get around that, I sync all events added on to the iPod Touch to a calendar called temp, then after syncing, I go through the temp calendar on my iMac and re-assign the events to the appropriate calendars.

12. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

It's rumored that an iPhone revision will happen in the middle of this year, bringing 3G and 16 GB...perhaps iPod touch will get a price drop around that same time. So it MAY be worth it to wait....

But, I bought mine about 2 weeks ago, and I am a really happy guy. I have the internet everywhere on the IU campus, so I am really ecstatic. And my VPN is playing nicely so it is just a great road warrior tool. I can't live without music, and having the safari browser (REALLY the most amazing thing ever) and notes and iCal sync, I am very very happy. I've got some good and bad things to talk about, which I am happy to share to shed some light on you people thinking about it..

Good:
    • Safari browser is literally "gorgeous"..Jobs wasn't lying when he said that you can view webpages pretty fast on this little "machine". Defnitely is a deal maker.
    • iCal syncs both ways, so you can constantly have your when's and where's synced. I will invest in a dock maybe but right now having the plug in a base station kind of set up gets the job done.
    • Notes are easy to handle, are sorted by date, and easily editable
    • Youtube integration is awesome
    • Maps has saved me a couple times
    • Checking the weather is a nice feature
    • Having an address book handy is a nice addendum to a cellphone that stores numbers
    • Battery life is really long (or long enough seeing as it is charged every night here)
    • Email looks awesome, its easy to delete messages one at a time.

Bad:
    • Mail synchronization leaves a lot to be desired, and is confusing to figure out
    • Mail also is hard to delete MULTIPLE messages at once...I'm sure that will be fixed
    • Notes don't synchronize with mail..to-dos don't synchronize..this NEEDS to be fixed.
    • iCal does not show categories...doesn't bother me so much though.
    • With the old ipod, i could have it in my pocket and skip as I walk around...now I have to pull it out and really look at where im touching the ipod...which kinda sucks when its cold...i guess this is somewhat of a deal breaker
    • Wi-Fi is strong, but can be unreliable, but rarely is
    • Locate me function on maps is unreliable
    • Safari thinks that this is an iPhone, so it claims you can call people sometimes...kind of a weird irk but still a bug
    • 16 GB of space is enough if you can manage your music decently...but with apps coming out this could be a different story. More management required, etc.

I got used to the "bad" aspects pretty quickly, so I think this is a really good investment. I don't expect a major iPod touch upgrage (32 GB) to come out until they first even develop the size in the same package and then it becomes as cheap as the 16GB is now. Expect that kind of revolution in about 2 years. Which by then, they might even put a new wireless standard.

In the mean time, you've also got this SDK...which could bring VoIP (Skype), really fun games (with wi-fi battling like DS?), tons of new native applications, flash player and better java support...good things are coming to the touch, and it is really a great device.

Hope it helps.

13. mechler macrumors member

^^^ Great review UPS. Those negatives don't seem to be a big deal for me, except if the wifi is flaky. Although, the wifi is flaky sometimes on my laptop - seems to be a router problem, though. Is it just that for the ipt? Glad to hear that there is good reception. One other question - does the mail program work with hotmail? Not a deal breaker if it doesn't...

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I use Handbrake to rip DVDs and then iTunes (of course) to put them on my iPhone -- same for the iPod Touch though. Each movie I have is between 700MB and 1GB, so you can do the math. Keep in mind that the lower the quality, the lower the file size -- using a screen as small as the iPod Touch or iPhone, quality should be an after thought if you want to put many videos on there.

15. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

Just checked the front page this morning. Mouth, meet foot.

16. jjaenagle macrumors member

ok so there is already a 32 gig ipod touch out there... as well as a 16 gig iphone... check apples website... i think its out there for uk

17. tidytrev macrumors regular

18. mechler macrumors member

Ditto, but I don't think anyone saw this coming, at least not today. Guess I'll be picking up my new 32gb ipt this week :D

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yes, now is the best time to buy a Touch. Apple just released the 32gb today.

20. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

No it doesn't work with winblows stuff!! Haha.

EDIT: Okay okay you can do it manually, but like "easy setup" is with Gmail, AOL, and Yahoo!

Okay so in light of recent events...I am still not upset about this, initially.

I bought my touch 2 weeks ago and at that price.. The price didn't change and now I would have to pay 100 bucks for the same product. And an iPhone while now with the same space will still have the battery issue, still is ****** EDGE, and still is expensive. I wouldn't do it. I think a 16GB touch looks good to me.