Time to get depressed...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Jan 1, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Coming off a nice 12 calendar days off - the most I've had consecutively since I started at my company a few years ago - and with the holiday season over, and with not another single holiday off until Memorial Day an insane 5 full months away, it's tough not to be feeling pretty down right now.

I already know how tomorrow will be in the office, everyone will be back and everyone will be slumped in their chairs facing nearly a half year stretch of endless 5 day weeks and long hours until the next holiday, a solid 3 months of which are just the ******* part of winter. Morale will be in the toilet.

Ugh, just that time of year. Let's commiserate.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Puma what do you do for work?

I sit at a desk and browse the internet a lot, but can also commiserate with you since the work is pretty boring. We get federal holidays off though :D

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

As someone who has no job at the moment, I do not feel sorry for you. No days off? Seriously?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, he has weekends off, or stated that he is only working 5 days a week.

6. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

This is the most depressing part of the year due to early darkness and winter weather. Our friends in warmer climates don't suffer from light and sun deprivation like us in the Northeast US. Vitamin D can help and joining a gym to get regular exercise is a very good idea.

Happiness begins again on March 9th when we switch back to daylight savings time.

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Longest unbroken time between school breaks too. By mid frebruary, I've forgotten what break means!

----------

When you wake up before the sun rises, drive to classes as the sun is coming up, and only see short, sweet glimpses of the sun between classes... And then the sun sets at 4:30... For the next three months I will probably see the sun less than the time I spend on here! I love the northwest!

8. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I get to work when it's dark and get home when it's dark, I won't see sunlight until around May.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps you should find another job or vocation if you feel this way about your work.

10. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Well that's crap. I've been out of a full-time job for three months now, but happily getting by with freelancing, spending lots of time with the kids and enjoying 15 hours of daylight every day over Summer. Sorry.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife was out of work for 15 months and we struggled to keep our heads above water. We're still feeling the effects it had on our finances a couple years removed from the situation.

While I can see the OP's point in griping, I have a hard time sympathizing given that he has a job. I'm thankful that I have a job, even if that means I have to work nights, weekends and holidays.

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

First day back to work and its -19C (-2F), feels like -29C (-20F) with wind. That's pretty much the only thing I feel depressed about right now.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm having to work remotely today because the Boston area is going to get slammed with a Nor'Easter. They already called school off for my kids so someone has to stay home.

If I had my druthers, I'd rather be in the office (trudging through the 19 degree temps and snow) then work and keep my kids entertained :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, but trying to work and have them busy is a lot

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Consider yourself lucky that you had 12 days off. I don't know many people in work who did.

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

We are having a chinook come in today here in Edmonton area so will be around +2C, but will be joining you tomorrow when the arctic air blows back in and we head back into the -20's.

Going to enjoy the warm day today though. Haven't seen many this year. Well over 100 CM of snow already and more coming this week. Yahoo!

Some people never get use to it. I enjoy winter, because everything always looks clean.

Op, 12 days off. Man I wish. Had 4 days off over holidays myself.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The last time I had more then 2 days off of work was last May. Yeah I've had a holiday off from time to time. I've also worked some holidays. I would have enjoyed 12 days off myself :D

17. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Some of us can not afford more time off or work for demanding companies. I am in a little of both categories.

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Snow showers with -28C windchill, this is not dress pant weather :(

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

OP, I got Christmas Day and New Year's Day off, plus the weekends. Our offices didn't close for any other days, and as a relatively new employee, I don't have enough vacation time accrued yet to take any more days off than I did. But I'm at least grateful to have a job.

TL;DR - boo-friggin'-hoo.

20. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Maybe schedule a long weekend off a month or two from now. Take a Thursday-Friday off and go on a quick mini vacation somewhere warm, that way you can break up the time between now and Memorial Day, and you actually have something to look forward to in the not-so-distant future.

I hear where you're coming from though, I live in Wisconsin and work a pretty standard desk job, 9-5 5 days a week. December to March/April can reeeeeally drag. :S

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I haven't had a vacation or a holiday off for over 10 years. I've got a tiny violin to play for those who complain about not having enough time off. Heck, my co-workers work 6 days a week and my Boss works EVERY DAY.

22. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

"holidays" are way over rated, everyone & their mother is out & about, traffic is a mess ETC, ETC.

23. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Ditto! I'm in the same boat.

Be thankful you have a job. Especially an Engineer job that probably pays well.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I love summers around here because everybody leaves for the seashore and there's no school traffic.

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

I saw a great quote today which seems to be applicable here:
    "Let go of exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self-worth."

Almost everyone has to work, but working to that level is just not good for anyone. I don't admire anyone for overworking themselves.