Time to get macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Frosteric901, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Frosteric901 macrumors newbie

so is it worth while getting a 2014 macbook air or waiting for the refresh in 2015 and the so called "rumoured" retina display airs?
    basically the macbook air will be my secondary computer for uni as i already have a 2014 rMBP 15" and iPad air 2. i mean the 2014 airs looks like an amazing machine for what they are, but i know the retina display does make a huge difference. there also the possibility that these new retina airs might have decreased battery life. so confused what to do haha. help?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If there's a need for you get a MBA now, then by all means, otherwise you may possibly wait until 2nd Qtr of 2015. As for retina display, so far its just speculation. Apple may and may not do a retina display on the MBA

3. motrek macrumors 68020

Who knows what Apple will do or when.

Eventually Apple will put retina displays in the Airs. Nobody knows if that will be next month or 3 years from now.

There have been strong rumors that retina MBAs are just around the corner for the last year and a half. Imagine the guy who asked for advice 1.5 years ago and everybody told him to wait. Now he's frustrated and he could have spent that time using a nice new laptop.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

We should tag each "should I buy" with this statement.

If there is a need, the answer is yes. Otherwise, everything is speculative.

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

It's always a good time to get a MacBook Air. I love mine!

6. Investor27 macrumors regular

Why wait? You can enjoy your Macbook Air now. It's cheaper. It still has that amazing Apple click touch pad, great battery life, and is 13". The next MB Air may or may not have the Retina display. If it does, the battery life will suffer significantly (well, by a couple of hours). Apple may choose to wait until the 4th quarter to release a Retina Macbook Air with the newer Intel Skylake chip, which is even more energy efficient than Broadwell. The Skylake chip will have wireless charging. If you don't have a need for a Macbook Air right now, you should wait until the end of 2015, but you'll be losing out on another year without a Macbook.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

This question seems to come up almost weekly. The correct answer is as maflynn stated - if you want/need it now, get it now. If you don't, then wait to see what the next revision may hold in store.

My mid 2013 MBA is a stellar performer, doing exactly the job I purchased it for and has never let me down. However I'm not one of the "I need the newest & latest & greatest" type, instead preferring to wait until the bugs are worked out of a product before I take the plunge.

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Admittedly, I'm an old f@rt…. but do you really need two expensive laptop computers as a student? I understand that you *want* a MBA, but do you *need* one? Couldn't you put that money to better use?

Just a thought….

9. grumplekey macrumors newbie

I'm 22 and i'm thinking the same thing. That money can be invested, saved, or used to buy more important things...

10. Serban Suspended

if it will be the secondary computer...than buy the next macbook air
    buy 10 more laptops if makes you happy...life is short and old f@art should know such thing
    money are just money so do whatever makes you happy...not only what you need
    for example i have a 5k imac and a 15" haswell macbook pro and so on, only the imac i am using for a long period of time, but it is nice to have an apple laptop when i am traveling.

11. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

This question gets asked over and over.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1831161

The answer is only you can make that decision. Nobody, at this time, knows what Apple's future plans are. If you need a machine - BUY ONE. If you don't - DON'T BUY ONE.

Simple as that.

Lou

12. Serban Suspended

he doesnt need because he already have another macbook..so we already know that a new macbook air will be next year and 100% will be slimmer and lighter with retina but it will have 10h usage instead of 12h

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

If you have a 2014 MBP why not just use that?
    What advantage do you believe the Air will bring that you don't have with the pro?

14. Serban Suspended

ultra portability and he can let the 15"MBP at home when traveling

15. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Travel with mine without issue. sell the 15" and get a 13" - no point to 2 devices.

16. Frosteric901 thread starter macrumors newbie

exactly what I was thinking thanks

17. entropi macrumors 6502

you should have bought it when you could run 10.9 on it, now you could wait for the retina mba with the retina graphics optimized yosemite (which might even be a less buggy in 2015... in may perhaps?)

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You obviously have the money to buy 2 laptops as a student. So making the "optimum" purchase decision can be less important to you. If Apple releases a magnificent retina Air next week, you can go and replace/ buy that Air.

If you have to optimize, then consider moving to a single 13" machine as many others have recommended. That would be a far better optimization choice.

19. USF813 macrumors member

Valentines Day and Presidents Day are right around the corner. I'd wait for the sales!