Time to give up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jenianifer, Apr 16, 2008.

1. jenianifer macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm a cradle-Mac user, but new to this board. I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, advice that you might have.

I have a 2-year old MBP--one of the first ones out. I got the new battery a while back, and while the computer heated quickly, I was pretty happy with the performance. Then, things started going downhill about 2 weeks ago.

The powercord somehow committed suicide, I think the fan is busted (since I haven't heard it come on in the longest time), the battery is ceasing to hold a charge and the functioning has become very slow.

I've been using it on average 10+ hours/day (I'm in grad school) for the past 2 years. So my question is, limp this through finals and get something new, or can I get a (relatively) inexpensive fix?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Tough question. If you really think it's a fan, then fans are relatively easy to repair if you can open it up. Otherwise, maybe a new one as a grad present? :)

3. ricpac macrumors member

I think you deserve a new one!

Kidding aside, if you got it with ACPP then you shouldn't have to worry.

4. jenianifer thread starter macrumors newbie

No extended care plan.. no money for such "luxuries.";)

I just found the fan widget thing... apparently they're running at about 1K. But as I sit here in class, the keyboard is getting warm and my palms are starting to sweat (and not b/c of the cute guy next to me).

So, how seriously am I frying this sucker?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

grab smcfancontrol and kick them up to 2000rpm. Should at least let you power through finals and run cooler.

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well keep an eye on that fan widget. MBPs tend to get real hot under all circumstances. If the fans NEVER spin up past 1000rpm, then there is probably an issue. If there is an issue it may not be the fans fault however, what are the chances they both took a crap at the same time?

7. jenianifer thread starter macrumors newbie

Target temperature?

Wow.. I'm learning so much today.

What is the target temperature for a mbp to run at? It's hovering at 140oF right now, with only about 4 applications running.

8. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well mine usually clocks in at 70-85 Celcius, are you using iStatPro? If you are double check the temp settings. If it is already in C you have MAJOR problems, if you are in F, you are just fine :)

9. Skystar macrumors 6502

Thats around 60 celsius, which is what my 1st gen 1.83Ghz MBP averages usually. I don't think its a problem. I know the early MBP did heat up more than the later models. But I rarely feel heat coming through the keyboard and palm rest, its only hot underneath.