Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steggerwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Liverpool, England
Well I was sitting patiently with my 6S to see what Apple would announce last week.

The iPhone X is just ridiculous in terms of price (and the cutout) so I wouldn't even consider that.
The iPhone 8, I just don't see this as an upgrade from my 6S, aside from the camera and a couple of spec bumps.

I've been tempted with the Samsung S8 for a while and decided to take the plunge on Friday, replaced my 6S and Apple Watch Series 2 with S8 and Gear 3 Frontier.

The S8 is just a gorgeous piece of tech, the screen is outstanding and just a pleasure to use, I like the look of the Frontier, looks more like a real watch and it can be set to always on. I've only used them for a couple of days but so far I'm happy I made the right decision.

Don't get me wrong I'm not an Apple hater, they just didn't do enough to resist the temptation from Samsung. :)

IMG_1783.jpg

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
You are free to choose whatever design you feel better with, particularly on your wrist all the time.

Certainly, the design of the S8 is great and the screen tech for both the iPhone X and S8 comes from Samsung so one cannot argue which phone has the best screen.

I still prefer the iOS ecosystem by a mile over android. I also see a lot of untapped potential in both AR and the A11 chip. Future apps may be iPhone exclusives just because of the raw performance of the A11 SOC and/or ARKit.

steggerwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Liverpool, England
Agree with you both :)

As I said I'm certainly not an Apple hater, our house is packed with Apple products, 4 Ipads, 3 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs and 2 Macbook Pros (sadly I don't have a partridge in a pear tree :D )

I think for me it was probably just time to go and try something else, I've admired the S8 when watching a few friends use them so thought I would give it a try.

My wife still uses her 6S and I've caught her picking my phone up a few times to have a look.

I'm sure the 8 and X are fantastic pieces of kit and whoever is lucky enough to get them will be very happy, as for me, I'm sure I'll be back with Apple at some point in the future. :)

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I have both an S8+ and 7+ and would give the overall edge to my 7+. The S8+'s AMOLED screen is gorgeous, but it makes videos lag. The fingerprint reader is in a horrible position and I hate how integrated into the system Bixby is. Can't even reassign the dedicated Bixby button. Touchwiz isn't as bad as it used to be, but I can imagine Android updates taking forever because of it.

Edit: the S8+ also has an amazing camera too

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well I was sitting patiently with my 6S to see what Apple would announce last week.

The iPhone X is just ridiculous in terms of price (and the cutout) so I wouldn't even consider that.
The iPhone 8, I just don't see this as an upgrade from my 6S, aside from the camera and a couple of spec bumps.

I've been tempted with the Samsung S8 for a while and decided to take the plunge on Friday, replaced my 6S and Apple Watch Series 2 with S8 and Gear 3 Frontier.

The S8 is just a gorgeous piece of tech, the screen is outstanding and just a pleasure to use, I like the look of the Frontier, looks more like a real watch and it can be set to always on. I've only used them for a couple of days but so far I'm happy I made the right decision.

Don't get me wrong I'm not an Apple hater, they just didn't do enough to resist the temptation from Samsung. :)

IMG_1783.jpg
Enjoy your purchases. Mentioning @Radon87000 because he’s contemplating same.

I have AirPods, aw, new iPad Pro and 8+ on the horizon; so I’m going in the opposite way.

eyedoc2020

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2015
NOVA
I have both an S8+ and 7+ and would give the overall edge to my 7+. The S8+'s AMOLED screen is gorgeous, but it makes videos lag. The fingerprint reader is in a horrible position and I hate how integrated into the system Bixby is. Can't even reassign the dedicated Bixby button. Touchwiz isn't as bad as it used to be, but I can imagine Android updates taking forever because of it.

Edit: the S8+ also has an amazing camera too

True you cannot remap the Bixby button. Can you remap the Siri button in the X?

Reactions: macfacts

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
It's tempting switching to Samsung or other phones considering Apple is still sticking with the old huge bezel design for iPhone 8, but then you have to switch to Android ecosystem from iOS, especially hard if you have already purchased iOS apps. It's not as simple as switching from LG to Samsung or HTC or Pixel, but surely Android is also getting much better and it really depends on whether any of the OEMs offer as polished features as Apple.

IMG_1783.jpg

Dannehkins

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
I do agree that I think the iPhone X price is ridiculous, but I am more than happy with iPhone 8 plus (currently have iPhone 6s Plus).

Having tried plenty of high end android devices in the past, I have always ultimately ended back with an iPhone. The one thing that keeps me with Apple is there hardware design and software. Apple made CPU, now GPU and other such components. I feel they have that ultimate control over how the software can integrate into the hardware at such a low level.

I agree that sometimes the iPhone doesn't dominate in the specs department, particularly the screen, but everything works. I don't need to dig for anything, i know where everything is. The experience is smooth, fluid and the apps and games appear very well intergrated.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
Thank you everyone for having a civil discussion on this. I too am debating switching to Samsung for the Note 8. The biggest thing keeping me on iOS right now is the Apple Watch. I’m not impressed with the iPhone X and my biggest concern is coming from the 7plus is the smaller size. I like my big phone. I realize the screen is bigger, but the device is smaller.

I don’t know. I’m thinking about going to Best Buy and getting the Note and sampling it for the 14 day return period to see if it’s worth staying. I’ve dabbled with Android tablets a bit and I do enjoy the OS. I’ve been on iOS since iOS 2, so it’s hard to let go.

Reactions: koigirl and 5105973

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The A11 processor is an amazing piece of tech. That keeps getting overlooked in these post-keynote discussions.

That's true, but it's gotten to the point where how much faster do people need their phones to be? That part of the user experience is pretty much a given now, so people are more focused on other aspects.

Reactions: George Dawes

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I have an S8+ and it is phenomenal.

Tried the Note 8 and it’s even better.

Samsung hit a home run with both.

I’m currently using my iPhone 7+ for testing iOS 11. Pretty much across the board it’s a step backwards from the S8+.

Each has areas of irritation as well. What’s most irritating about the 7+ is the camera is damn awful compared my S8+. It’s really bad.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Samsung? Been there. Great hardware. Mediocre software. Lackluster support. Unfortunately for my wallet, software means more to me than hardware.

Exactly how I am felling right now. I have a gorgeous S8 in my hand, but feeling crippled by Samsung's lack of support.

They are not acting quick enough to patch blueborne malware. I cannot help but feel that Apple would have acted differently.

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/...-affects-billions-devices-requires-no-pairing

Reactions: bchreng

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung are doing some great things at the moment

Note 8 is the best phone on the market with what they have packed in that.

Samsung do seem to be getting better with the software and updates. It's come a long way the past few years.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I sold off my 7 plus and got the s8 plus on release day. Broke it the first week, when it feel off my bedside table and hit my bed rail. Disappointing since my 7 plus has done the same a few times and didn't break. The s8 plus is by far the best android phone I have ever used, granted my experience with them is limited. Although I am going ba can to the iPhone. Preordered an 8 plus just to get me by until the X comes out. My main complaint? Customer service. The charging port is loose on my s8 plus. Called Samsung on it and they told me my only option is to send it in and be without a phone for 9-11 days. I cant be without my phone for that long since I use it for work. I also have the gear s3 frontier. That watch is at home run all the way imo. Not a scratch on the thing and I can't count how many times I have knocked it into metal objects, or accidentally scraped it on cement walls. Now I'm trying to contemplate if I want to order an  watch series 3. I wasn't too impressed with the original  watch, and I feel like it's super fragile. But surely things have changed 2 generations later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.