Time to hit the Genius bar?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by petercl, Jan 8, 2014.

1. petercl macrumors newbie

petercl

My iMac (5 yrs old) is stuck at the apple logo and the spinner stops. I tried resetting the PRAM, starting from a CC Clone, recovery disc and safe mode. They all result in the stalled spinner.

All software is totally up to date (Mavericks, etc...) and all periferals were unplugged.

Is there anything else I should do before I lug it to the store?

Thanks!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Try cloning your drive to an external and booting from there? Sounds like your internal HDD might be dead.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Yes, think about how much you're willing to spend on a repair before buying a new Mac.

If the HD is dead, how can they clone it? As it is they said they already tried booting from a clone and that didn't work either.

4. petercl thread starter macrumors newbie

petercl

Thanks Bear- The HD is cloned and it did not start from that either (as you mentioned.) I also have an active Time Machine that I cannot access.

Thanks for your help!!

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can't access your Time Machine backup if you boot from a CD/DVD and try to do a restore from there?

6. petercl thread starter macrumors newbie

petercl

I'll give that a shot. The only OSX I have is Snow Leopard, can I use that? Or burn Mavericks from my MBP?

7. Bear macrumors G3

You could try booting from the optical disc to see if that works. Or as stated below, try and boot from your Time Machine disk.

Actually since 10.7.2, Time Machine drives that are connected via firewire/usb/thunderbolt have a recovery partition on them. If you hold Option key while booting it will bring you to a boot disk selector screen.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Recovery HD>repair disk through Disk Utility (not sure if you've already tried this?)

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That is sweet!

I admit I wasn't much of a TM fan initially, just took too long and made everything hang. But decided to give it another shot the other day with my NAS as my TM backup and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with how much smoother everything runs these days.

10. petercl thread starter macrumors newbie

petercl

I'll try from a disc. The recovery disk doesn't boot...I just hang like everything else. It's probably a failing hard drive, when it start it, it makes noise for a good minute or two.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

What about through running fsck check through Single User Mode? Does it say the file system's been modified?

13. petercl thread starter macrumors newbie

petercl

I haven't done that yet, I'll give it a try.

Thank you :)