Time to jump ship?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zip120, Sep 21, 2009.

  1. zip120 Guest

    Sep 5, 2009
    I've been a pc user for years, but I'm starting college next year, and I'm ready to make the switch and get an MBP. I'm running a completely messed up Dell - it freezes and blue-screens all the time. Should I do it now, or wait for the next refresh?
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    Wait until the Back-to-School promotion in June if you can, you will get a free iPod.
  3. zip120 thread starter Guest

    Sep 5, 2009
    My laptop gets blue-screens several times per week, and I already have an iPhone, so I don't think I'd wait until June. Am I better off just doing it now, or will there be a significant update soon?
  4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

    Full of Win

    Nov 22, 2007
    Ask Apple
    Define significant and when do you need it.

    Changes to the chassis? Likely not, given the track record of Apple.

    Any more advice would need more information (e.g. need fast CPU for rendering or GPU for cutting edge gaming)
  5. Intense macrumors regular

    Sep 18, 2008
  6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020


    Mar 12, 2006
    Rural America
    If you're looking for a Mac laptop, now's a great time. The MacBooks (and Pros) were updated just a couple months ago. No matter what, you'll be getting a great machine that will work soooo much better than that old PC.
  7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    ...couple questions:

    1. do you run any anti virus or malware software on your current laptop?

    2. have you ever heard of a program called ccleaner (its a pretty good freeware program to remove win garbage out of your PC)?

    ...a little bit of maintenance on your PC could allow you to hold off until the next years back to school promo and allow you to see newer architectures in all makers laptops...
  8. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    Do people not realize June is nine months away and the OP wants/needs to buy soon.

    While the Mac notebooks were spec bumped the first week of June, I think we could see updates between now and November. Now it is possible that the MacBook and even MacBook Air will get updated soon and the MBP could be updated later.

    Here's the thing, Arrandale CPUs could be introduced anytime after October first and it represents a nice boost. USB 3.0 became ready last week, and that could be a huge improvement in the future. Would suck to get USB 2 right now and start seeing 3 devices within a year but have your Mac stuck on 2. Blu Ray is a real possibility in the next updates. A GPU upgrade is needed and the Pros need improved dedicated graphics.

    If you know you need a Pro, it's likely it could be a wait until Q1 2010. But if the MacBook might be a choice for you, it could be updated any day! There are rumors about a complete redesign of the MacBook that is thinner like the Air and it would likely have a newer updated GPU and possibly any of the new tech I mentioned.

    I feel like Apple could very well go ahead and make component changes to MBP at the same time. Apple wouldn't want its MacBook to have Nvidia 200m GPU while Pros have older inferior GPU. Apple is likely to jump on USB 3.0 sooner than PCs. A MacBook could really end up being a cool little Mac if it's more like the Air thin and carbon fiber.

    I would wait til November if you can. Also consider going as cheap as you can and get refurbished if you buy now. You can always sell and get most of your money back towards a new one with latest tech. The $1000 range Macs generally hold their value amazingly.

    Best wishes with your new Mac and school!
  9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    ...people were posting those replies due to him entering higher edu next year...

    He wants a new machine now but he needs to fix his current machine = defo different...

    www.ccleaner.com could take care of some of those reasons he's getting the BSOD on that win machine or the OP could do a restore of his system with the original software...

    Like you mentioned, there's a bunch of new architectural changes coming to computers with in the year and the OP would be best off waiting until they start becoming mainstream by the time next collage season is rolling around.
  10. zip120 thread starter Guest

    Sep 5, 2009
    thanks guys, i tried ccleaner, hopefully it'll do the trick
    i'm not too optimistic though, ive been getting bsods for the past year, after my computer completely died during a windows update and i reformatted the hard drive (trying to install leopard on it actually, but it didnt work)
    i used to use onecare security on vista, and i've been using avg free since i did a clean install of windows 7 RC a few months ago (hoping it would stop the bsods)

    i'll see how it goes for the next month... hopefully the mpb refresh will come sooner rather than later
  11. elpmas macrumors 68000


    Sep 9, 2009
    Where the fresh snow don't go.

Share This Page